Maplex - why is it an extension?????

09-10-2010 01:05 PM
CarlMoczydlowsky
New Contributor
Maplex being an add-on really annoys me. I can�??t understand why core functionality (making and labeling maps) needs an additional purchase to make it work correctly.

Essentially ESRI has developed a better labeling engine and instead of rolling it out as a new feature and upgrade their software like a normal software developer they have made it an extension to eek out every last dollar from the community.

Nothing makes me madder than shelling out an addtional $2500 so my maps label correctly.

It is pretty different from a 3D or Spatial Analyst extension which enhances the core functionality. Overall, I think the pricing and licensing structure is really outdated. I understood it in the ArcInfo 7 and 3.2 days, and even in the transition to 8.X, but it has really outlasted its relevance.

Am I missing something... does this drive anyone else as crazy?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
I could not agree more....
Try $4,000.  This is the price of a single seat extension in Canada Maplex included.  I think Maplex used to be $2,500 around version 8.

I believe Maplex has started as a 3rd party product that was later acquired by ESRI which might have something to do with it being separate. (But don't quote me on it as i am not 100% certain about this)

The most disappointing part is that even with maplex you will only gain full advantage of things like feature linked annotations with the higher, more expensive, licenses. (ArcInfo)

Honestly, it's not even that good of a labeling engine.  Advanced labeling of contours and label masking is difficult even with Maplex.

There are some alternatives i was looking into (also pricey but not as bad as Maplex) but i can't recall....

I posted a question to the good GIS folks on the stack exchange GIS forums, hopefully someone will have a recomendation;
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/1875/are-there-any-good-alternatives-to-the-maplex-esri-label...
0 Kudos
CarlMoczydlowsky
New Contributor
Thanks for the reply... Maperative seems like it's worth checking out.
0 Kudos
CarlMoczydlowsky
New Contributor
Sorry... It is actually spelled: Maperitive
0 Kudos
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III
I am not exactly sure If I agree that Maplex should be included with ArcView for free.  However, I do think some of the extensions that offer less functionality should be priced at a discount.

If I am informed correctly, at Arc 10 Any Desktop level can read maplex labels.  I am really excited about this because I really did not like the process of having to create a layer file for Maplex, and one for the standard labeling engine.
0 Kudos