Select to view content in your preferred language

Maplex not labeling polygons at small scale

08-13-2012 10:06 AM
RobynKeller
New Contributor
Hi,

I have a bunch of polygons that need to be labeled at a small scale. I have ArcGIS 10 with Maplex extension enabled. I have played around with the following Maplex settings: Compound Polygons, Never Remove Labels, Label placement, Label scale, Stacking, etc.

When I use the regular labeling engine the labels show up and when I use Maplex and zoom in to a larger scale the labels also show up.

I think the issue is that there is a high density of tiny polygons in one area at the small scale. Is there any way to force all of the tiny polygons to label and then I can annotate and adjust the labels' positions?

thanks!
robyn
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JustinPreikschas
New Contributor
We have this exact same issue. It does not relate to how cluttered the map is, it seems to being only related to the relative size of the feature on the page. It won't label at a certain scale even if it is the only feature on the map, but if you zoom in it will suddenly label.

Regards,
Justin
0 Kudos
BradBlanco
New Contributor
I'm having the same issue.  Zoomed in, the labels and expression appear correctly. But when zoomed out to where I need to print, some disappear.  70% I would say are there.  I've tried messing with scale of the map also with smaller font, even to 2pt and geometry repairs on all the shape files
I did another map of this same area with different labels and printed at the same scale that I need to print this one. Everything is labeled correctly.
Let's try to figure this out as my boss is on my back about getting this map labeled.
0 Kudos
BradBlanco
New Contributor
After messing around and talking to a GIS friend, in labels: Placement Prop.>Conflict Res>check Never Remove box
This seemed to clear things up.  It seemed the polygons were  being labeled, but there was some sort of communication problem.
Hope this helps.
B
0 Kudos