Select to view content in your preferred language

Map to KML: legend gets cut off

11-13-2014 11:29 AM
CoyPotts1
Deactivated User

I am running ArcMap 10.2 on a Windows 7 machine. 

I am trying to figure a way to include a legend with my KML exports.  I have seen it in examples before, but every time that I try to do it with mine, part of the legend (the top 3 rows of text) gets cut off, which makes the legend incomplete and unusable.

Has anyone else experienced this before and found a solution?  I have tinkered with just about any option I could think of and nothing alleviated the issue. 

Thanks,

Cep86

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

When you export a map document to a kml, it doesn't export the entire map document as seen in layout view, but the dataframe you select.  If your legend is partially outside of your dataframe boundaries, that could be what is causing the issue.

Can you post a screenshot of the map in question in layout view?

0 Kudos
CoyPotts1
Deactivated User

Yes, I have been leaving the legend outside of the dataframe.  We produce JPEG outputs of our maps as well, and we don't want the legend to appear on them, so I left it out to the side hoping that it would be functional within the KMZ, but not have to manually move it each time for our JPEG exports. 

I ran a couple tests after reading this (didn't see your reply until today), and I tried both inside and outside the dataframe, and nothing seems to fix the issues. 

The below image shows where I have been leaving the legend.  However, even after I moved the legend entirely within the dataframe and saved the map, I still get the same result (shown at bottom)

As you can see, the legend cut off the title, and even added some space at the bottom.

0 Kudos
chiaradorati
New Contributor II

I am facing similar issue with MAP to KML tool in ArcGIS Desktop (10.2.2): I have created the legend in Map Layout as indicated here then exported to KML. But the legend is partially cut off in Google Earth. I have already tried increasing spacing and halo, but it does not solve the problem. Does anyone have experienced the same issue and/or can suggest solutions?

Capture.JPG