Select to view content in your preferred language

Layout Algorithms

Jump to solution
06-18-2012 10:56 AM
ToddBanks
New Contributor
I have recently been experimenting with Schematics and have completed the advanced config tutorials in the ArcGIS Resource Center. I'm working with electrical substation diagrams and would like to control my schematic output in more detail than what I find in the layout algorithm properties dialogs. An example would be to keep all Bus features straight where schematics seems to add verticies that create a step like effect. Would it be possible to customize the existing algorithms or use schematic rules to control the layouts?

Thanks,
Todd
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
There are some node alignment tools and remove vertices commands as well.  Sometimes you will need to work with multiple algorithms and manual tools as well when dealing with the out of the box 'generic' algos/tools on industry specific needs.  Remember that layout algorithms work on everything if nothing is selected, or they only work on what is selected if there is a selection.  So sometimes, you will need to select various parts of your diagram and apply a layout algorithm, then change settings and select a different part of the diagram.  If you have exact specs that will work in every situation for you diagrams, you can have a developer create a custom layout algorithm using the schematics api that will plug back into the system and show up in the layout task dropdown list in ArcMap.  There is a sample in the desktop SDK for developing a schematic layout algorithm.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
There are some node alignment tools and remove vertices commands as well.  Sometimes you will need to work with multiple algorithms and manual tools as well when dealing with the out of the box 'generic' algos/tools on industry specific needs.  Remember that layout algorithms work on everything if nothing is selected, or they only work on what is selected if there is a selection.  So sometimes, you will need to select various parts of your diagram and apply a layout algorithm, then change settings and select a different part of the diagram.  If you have exact specs that will work in every situation for you diagrams, you can have a developer create a custom layout algorithm using the schematics api that will plug back into the system and show up in the layout task dropdown list in ArcMap.  There is a sample in the desktop SDK for developing a schematic layout algorithm.
0 Kudos
ToddBanks
New Contributor
Thanks for the advice. I don't believe we will find algorithm specs to satisfy every situation, so becoming skilled at combining algos and manual work seems like the immediate answer. I will check out the sample SDK with our developer.
0 Kudos