I have been able to rotate the data frame but i am now wondering How to rotate a layer in ArcMap?

Jump to solution
04-27-2016 08:01 AM
MamadouDiabate
New Contributor II

I am

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Oh, take a look at this. This should solve the issue:

Using the general label settings to rotate labels with the data frame—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

1. On the Labeling toolbar, click Labeling > Options.
  2. Click the General tab.
  3. Check the Rotate point and polygon labels when data frame is rotated check box.
  4. Click OK.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Mamadou,

Why are you needing to rotate the layer? Rotating the Data Frame is mainly used for cartographic and visualization purposes. Can you give some more details of what you are needing to do?

MamadouDiabate
New Contributor II

I am designing a folding map and for the visualization purposes, I rotate an data frame "not the main one" in which the layer should be also rotate.

That's what I could not do yet (rotate the layer according to the data frame) on the top where it's marked "BAMAKO CITY".

Attached is the map I am talking about.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Mamadou,

Did you use the Data Frame Toolbar to rotate your data frames? Either way, please follow these steps, I believe this will help:

Setting rotation for data frame rules—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

MamadouDiabate
New Contributor II

The symbol is ok but the label still not.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can also go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\Utilities and run AdvancedArcMapSettings as administrator.

Then Go to Symbols/Graphics tab, and check the appropriate check box to rotate labels with data frame rotation. This would be included in default setting of ArcMap.

Think Location
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jayanta,

That is useful! Thanks for sharing.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Oh, take a look at this. This should solve the issue:

Using the general label settings to rotate labels with the data frame—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

1. On the Labeling toolbar, click Labeling > Options.
  2. Click the General tab.
  3. Check the Rotate point and polygon labels when data frame is rotated check box.
  4. Click OK.
MamadouDiabate
New Contributor II

Thank you so much.

It's solved.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Great! I am glad this helped. Please mark the response as "Correct Answer" for the one that helped the most.