How to set non-overlapping point symbology.

Jump to solution
07-14-2016 11:41 AM
DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

I know that symbology has limited functionality in placing symbols. Maplex can be used to
create as text symbols, which I did. I also tried using leader lines which I don’t like.

My question is, do you have any recommendations on how to address overlapping features symbology?

Is creating feature representations a viable option?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One possibility is to create point Representations, then use the Disperse Markers Cartographic Refinement Tool.  Note that this requires an Advanced License and this tool is a more recent innovation, so if you are using an older copy of ArcGIS it may not be available.

Disperse Markers—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One possibility is to create point Representations, then use the Disperse Markers Cartographic Refinement Tool.  Note that this requires an Advanced License and this tool is a more recent innovation, so if you are using an older copy of ArcGIS it may not be available.

Disperse Markers—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Chris Donohue, GISP

DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

Looks Like I will learn how to create representations, and try the Disperse Markers which I have come across in my researching this subject.  Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

this is what you are referring to I assume? Offsetting point labels—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

AnninaHirschiWyss
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all,

I have a similar issue, but:

- The disperse marker doesn't work on multi point FC

- In Pro, the disperse marker modifies the geometry (Representations are not yet supported)

- Working with labels doesn't work for me (2 fields based "multilayer" symbology)

- Offsetting a symbol isn't an option either, as not always the same types are "clustered" together

- Need to show the exact location as well (e.g. with leader lines)

- Setting reference scale doesn't solve the overlap issue (either the symbols overlap, or they get too small to distinguish)

So something like that: https://community.esri.com/ideas/5998  would be awesome, but it's not yet available.

Any other ideas? Go back to ArcMap and into representations?

Thx

0 Kudos
DevinUnderwood3
New Contributor III

I suggest using ArcMap representations as I did very successfully.

0 Kudos
AnninaHirschiWyss
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Devin,

Unfortunately representations do not solve my issue, as there are sometimes points of the same symbology-type overlap (offsetting will not disperse them, they just move into the same direction) and I need to have something like a leader line to show the exact location...

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
DevinUnderwood3
New Contributor III

Have you tried to edit the representation points (not actual features) individually by placing them in their exact location ?

0 Kudos