Select to view content in your preferred language

How to join an excel data table to a polyline shapefile (1:M)

07-16-2012 05:04 PM
LisaRandolph
New Contributor
I have a polyline shapefile that represents the spatial location of survey transects (broken into 168 segments) and an excel table of many butterfly observations that I would like to spatially display in ArcMap 10.  I made sure that the excel table and the shapefile both have a common text field (called T_S that represents the Transect and Segment numbers).  But when I join the excel table to the transect shapefile, I end up with the same 168 records, only two of which are populated with the data I want to map out.  I tried a relate function, but had the same result.

Any suggestions?  Any input is appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichalBrach
New Contributor
First - check type of fields you join. For example - text type can't join with short integer. Maybe you have mixed types in Excel.
Second - attach file in order we could check it.
0 Kudos
LisaRandolph
New Contributor
I have double checked the field types that I am trying to join (in ArcCatalog) and they are both text types.  The common field for both is "T_S".  Attached are both the .xlxs file (spreadsheet called "SCS"), and the .shp file zipped. 

And THANK YOU so much for the reply!  I know this should not be a difficult task, but I keep running into walls.

Lisa Randolph
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Try to save you .xlsx as .csv and then use Add Join or Join Field to map the joined information. Does that work for you?
0 Kudos