Select to view content in your preferred language

How to adding dynamic text from an attribute field to Data Driven Pages

09-18-2012 09:42 AM
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor
How do I add the data, from a specified attribute field in my DDP index layer, as dynamic text onto my DDP page? I've studied the insert - dynamic pick list with DDP pages enabled.
Ken
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
You should be able to change the property value to whatever field you want to display as dynamic text:

<dyn type="page" property="<field_name>"/>
0 Kudos
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor
Jonathan,
  I didn't think of making a change to the tag code. I'll try it and reference an attribute field. Thank you,
Ken
0 Kudos
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

Is it possible to get an attribute value and place it into dynamic text? I have a python script that iterates over an attribute field, and I would like to record the field value as dynamic text as my layout changes.

Regards,

Craig
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Craig,
I assume that the value you'd like as dynamic text is not in your index layer?
0 Kudos
CPoynter
Hi Jonathon,

I have a layout with three sets of data with a common field. I have a script that will use the common field and create a definition query to display only the relevant value being iterated over. I was hoping for a method of adding the value being presented as dynamic text or through some other python (arcpy.mapping) process. Not using DDPs for this workflow.

Regards,

Craig
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
You could do the same thing using Data Driven Pages, page definition queries, and dynamic text, if you're fine with not using a script.  You can set page definitions on any layer that contains the index field for the data driven pages.  Alternatively, I don't know of any way through Python to have dynamic text.
0 Kudos
CPoynter
Hi Jonathon,

I will investigate Page Definition Queries. They might work, but I need three FCs to react the same (set to same definition) and have about a dozen values in the relevant attribute field to try with.

Thank you for advice.

Regards,

Craig
0 Kudos