How do I create a text symbol using a text field?

Jump to solution
09-04-2015 07:57 AM
WillPlatt
New Contributor III

I have a field called "number".  I want the number in that field to be the symbol for that point.  I can do this manually by categorizing the symbol and changing each symbol individually.  The problem is I have a lot of points that I would have to change manually.  Is there a way that I can symbolize the number in the "number" field?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

How about making a second layer for the same dataset, have one label be the label you have now, the other be the number?  That way they would not be part of the same label and you could give the numeric label higher weight and make sure its centered on the point.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Why not just make the point Symbology no color, then just have the points labelled based off the number field?  That way they could effectively be the symbology for the points.

0 Kudos
WillPlatt
New Contributor III

I can't do that because I have the points labeled other field values.  Those labels have a text background and leader.  I thought about adding the point number to that label but I don't like the way it looks.  I would rather have the symbol just be the number and the label pointing to the number.

Thanks

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

How about making a second layer for the same dataset, have one label be the label you have now, the other be the number?  That way they would not be part of the same label and you could give the numeric label higher weight and make sure its centered on the point.

WillPlatt
New Contributor III

That seems like a good alternative.  I'm just really surprised that the functionality isn't build into the symbology.

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Because what you're talking about is really labeling. Besides making each symbol (like you mentioned), I think Ian's suggestion is your best bet.

0 Kudos