Functionality of Cartographic Representation available in ArcGIS Pro

01-18-2019 06:23 AM
TomaszLetmański
Esri Contributor

Hi

Is there a known term or ArcGIS Pro version when all the functionality of Cartographic Representation symbology - from  ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap), will be available in ArcGIS Pro?

Tomek

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Kory Kramer‌ recently posted

https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas/blog/2019/01/17/ideas-in-arcgis-pro-23 

Have a look, there is a breakdown of implemented and what is near-term.  If it isn't one either list, then we can venture far-term or more probably, not enough ArcGIS Ideas‌ have appeared to warrant consideration.

Specifics might help, posted ideas do help, but maybe Kory has some additional thoughts @Kory_Kramer

0 Kudos
DalindaDamm
Occasional Contributor

I have been following this topic for a while now and still feel a bit lost on where things stand/are headed. My understanding is that Cartographic Representations are not and will not be supported in ArcGIS Pro. You CAN import a layer with them and view them, but there is NO support for managing them in Pro.

Here is some information that might be helpful:

There is a similar GeoNet post regarding this question already: can ArcGIS Pro use cartographic representation

- in that post there are some potential workarounds mentioned

Also, in a post titled "ArcGIS Pro: How to author map symbols?" Craig Williams‌ mentioned the following: “The representations experience in ArcGIS Pro has also evolved into an experience working with symbol overrides on any symbology type in ArcGIS Pro.” Basically, it sounds like instead of pulling over Cartographic Representations, there will be other ways to accomplish the same goal. That said, I have had a really hard time trying to piece together what the alternative looks like. Any others tracking this topic, if there is more information about alternatives to cartographic representations/related functionality, especially how symbol overrides play into this, any information that can be shared would be VERY MUCH appreciated!