Select to view content in your preferred language

Event Layer Labels Don't Work When Converted to Shapefiles

01-07-2015 10:40 AM
JulienFavreau
New Contributor

Hi,

I've recently asked the same question but haven't gotten any replies yet.

The problem I am having is that my "XY Event Source" labels do not work when I convert them to shapefiles.

When I click "Label Features", my points in the shapefiles display a bunch of question marks (?).

I am using the Pigiarniq font which I have downloaded on my computer.

Even when I change the "Text Symbol" from the "Layer Properties" to Pigiarniq font instead of Arial, it comes up as question marks (?).

BTW, this is for ArcMap 10.2

Thanks,

Julien

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

What does the attribute table show? What is the data type of the attribute used for labelling your features?

0 Kudos
JulienFavreau
New Contributor

One of the fields in the attribute table says:     Pigiarniq

??????

??????

etc.

The data type are characters, ex: ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ

0 Kudos
MikeCusi

This looks like the "source" for your "XY Event Source" is not being read properly. Is the source a text file or is it an excel file?

0 Kudos
JulienFavreau
New Contributor

It's an excel file

0 Kudos
MikeCusi

I would try exporting the excel file to a CSV text file and then use that as the source for your "XY Event Source"

0 Kudos
JulienFavreau
New Contributor

When I save it as a CSV file, the font is automatically turned into question marks before I even use it in ArcMap

0 Kudos
MikeCusi

Have you tried changing the font to something more "standard" like Arial or Courier before saving it as a CSV file?

0 Kudos
JulienFavreau
New Contributor

Hey I've tried this and it still gives me questions marks...apparently its an unreported bug in ArcMap 10.2

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

your csv file doen"t apply the correct code page to the output...have you been able to add maps with that character set before? and if it appears correctly in both arcmap and excel, they you might want to go that route

0 Kudos