DATA DRIVEN PAGES!!!! I COULD SCREAM!!!!!

04-18-2012 10:23 AM
GaryHoffacker
New Contributor
I have a pipeline.
It has two buffer areas around it 600' and 300'
I have an area on my layout for this data driven page to fit into.

I cant make it fit that area at scale to save my life.

I can make it to scale but I  can see the outline of the page....it wont fit the page to the layout...

Oh did I mention it needs to be at 1:300 scale??

On top of this I cannot get anough overlap ( Max of 20 ) to cover the whole 600 foot buffer on the first page... It keeps cutting it off....

So I have to copy the CL and make a DUMMY File to have the data driven pages created from.

Can someone please help me with the scaling issue? I have literally tried everything.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
GaryHoffacker
New Contributor
SEE ATTACHED
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
I'm not sure I get the problem, but to make your DDPs at 1:300, zoom to 1:300 and select "Center and maintain scale" from the Extent tab on the Data Driven Pages Setup. Then click OK to make the DDPs. The default extent is 25% larger than the extent of the index shape.
0 Kudos
GaryHoffacker
New Contributor
The data driven page will not fit the current data frame viewport. No matter what I try it wont fit to it and it leaves that page showing with a gap around the edges.. Getting the data to stay at 1:300 scale is no problem...getting the data driven page to fit to the viewport is the real problem here.
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm not sure I understand this either.  Are you trying to get the index polygon to fit perfectly within the data frame extent?  If that is the case then you need to make sure the data frame size / aspect ratio is identical to the size of the index polygon.  You also need to make sure that "best fit margin" is set to 100%.

For example,  if the extent rectangle = 1000 meters x 500 meters then the aspect ratio is 2:1 and therefore the dataframe size needs to be 2:1.  For example, 4"x2" or 8"x4", etc.

If I'm not understanding this correctly, please provide a screenshot with annotations labeling the problem.

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Kudos
GaryHoffacker
New Contributor
Yes I am trying to make the Data Driven Page the exact same size as the data frame extent. This is exactly what I am trying to do. But I need to keep the data that I have at a 1" (INCH) =300' (Foot) scale

On the attached image. All I want to do is make the (Red) Data Driven Pages fit the extent on my current viewport ( In Blue) at a 1"=300' scale.
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
If your data is at 1:300 and it doesn't fit your data frame exactly, then there is a problem with your index layer dimensions (or your expectation that it will fit). You either need to adjust your data frame to fit the index features, or accept that they won't fit. You can't set the zoom level (1:300) and then expect the image to stretch to fit the data frame without zooming in.
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
Again, see my last post.  I've done this before and it works fine.  You need to set the size of the data frame so it is the same aspect ratio as the index polygons PLUS you'll need to do a little math to determine the size of the data frame based on 1:300 scale.

Jeff
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
I might be missing something but a scale of 1" = 300' is not the same as a scale of 1:300 unless you can account for the difference in data driven pages between the units on the left of the : and those on the right (this I admit I have not checked).  You might try to scale the units on the right to those on the left (ie keeping everything around the : in inches).
0 Kudos
PatrickMoulden
Occasional Contributor
Try producing a custom map grid to match what you want to see in the dataframe.  This frame does not have to be visible to be used by data driven pages

It is also possible to use Python to generate a map grid based off of your dataframe's extent coordinates.

I also may not fully understand the problem that you are having
0 Kudos