Create vector grid (polygon) matching to the graticule defined in the

06-10-2013 07:38 AM
PatrickSchwager
New Contributor
Hei Forum!

Is there a way to create a verctor grid (polygon) matching to the graticule defined in the layerproperties?

I try to reconstruct a distribution map (Narzissen.jpg) for a some plant species in Styria (Austria). I suspect the aberration (Narzissen_Grid.jp and Narzissen_Grid2.jpg) is associated with the rotation angle! But is there a way to adjust the rotation angle?

Thanks for any help,

Patrick
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Wayne_Whitley

It helps to understand the difference between 'grids and graticules' and an otherwise 'orthogonal' grid --- looks like the grid layer you were trying to make is 'orthogonal', or one with right angle corners in a projected coordinate system.  Then your grid/graticule layer is based on a geod refererence or geographic coordinate system, so it is going to appear with 'curved' lines, more exagerated toward the poles of the earth.  ....lol, I'm not a geodetic professional, so I'm not going to elaborate further on that.

So, that aside, this may help you:

Batch Make Grids and Graticules Layer (ArcGIS 10.1)
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d7e52d83fe874158ad912d9816c7b71f

...or the interesting related blog here:

Batch Make Grids and Graticules Layer for ArcGIS 10.1 Template Released!
by ProductionMappingTeam on September 18, 2012
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/09/18/batch-make-grids-and-graticules-layer-for-arcgis-10-1-t...

Maybe that'll help...
Wayne
0 Kudos
PatrickSchwager
New Contributor
Hi Wayne!
Thanks for answering so quick! But its not what I�??am looking for.

Well I�??m trying to create a polygon layer that nearly matches to the graticule that I created in the layer properties first. Like �??converting a graticule to feature class�?�. Not with high accuracy, because the point representation isn�??t accurate as well! A point in a small rectangle means �??the species exists in this quadrant�?� (Quadrant.pdf). Further on I need to fill the polygons with attributes.

I tried to realize it with the fishnet tool (ArcToolbox) and with the �??Create Vector Grid�?� Hawths Tools extension (http://www.spatialecology.com/htools/createvectorgrid.php). But in any case I need to shift the polygons a little. But is there a better way to handle this?

Patrick
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Wayne_Whitley

I'm not sure, maybe I don't fully understand, but why not create a fishnet in a GCS... that should match the grid size and shape of the grids and graticules output, right?  Experimenting with the FL area I created a fishnet in GCS -- as long as viewing it in a GCS defined dataframe spatial reference the same as with what the grid was produced in, it appears as 'straight lines' or orthogonal.

Then, if I switch the data frame back to my state plane customary coordinate system, the orthogonal grid is 'transformed' into that warped grid you are familiar with...I would think similar grid lines would 'match' your grids and graticules if you pick the right interval for spacing, which should be easy as this is expressed in degrees.

As an illustration see the GCS (Geographic Coordinate System) fishnet I first created.  The 2nd attachment in PCS (Projected Coordinate System) is the result of the GCS one 'warped' as I changed the coord sys to match my parcel data's state plane reference.
If you wanted to maintain this 'warped' state, you should be able to project the GCS result into your customary projected reference (viewing it in the projected data frame) - just have to make sure the initial spatial ref is defined as the appropriate GCS 1st.  For some reason the output from Create Fishnet did not have the reference defined, so I had to set it 1st with Define Projection (otherwise, projecting on the fly, etc., will not be possible)

Hope that helps.

Enjoy,
Wayne
0 Kudos
PatrickSchwager
New Contributor
Hi Wayne!

Sorry I didn't write you until after I solved the problem!

Finally I succeded with the fishnet-tool.

Thanks for your help and ideas!

Patrick
0 Kudos