Circular color ramp - help me design

01-08-2015 07:22 PM
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Good afternoon everyone.

I'm trying to design a 16 color color-ramp, which is going to be used to symbolise aspect (derived from a DEM). Each of the 16 colours will represent a 'chunk' of the compass - ie N thru NNE, NNE thru NE etc.

Here's where it gets tricky. I would like N and S to be the two keys to the scheme, with the ramp being graduated to indicate the closer to north or south that you get. However,  I don't want the eastern and the western halves to be a mirror image - they should still be graduated / ramped to provide context, but through a different colour.

Does this make sense - and can you point me to a online resource where I could get some RGB codes to build the symbology?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Would something like the HSL or HSV color spaces work?

cameronshaw
New Contributor

Unfortunately and as I said in my original message the service stayed on. A stopped service would be early to work with. The problem in this case is the application crashed, but the only indicated was the ArcGIS written to it's own log folder.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

cameron shaw‌    I think you replied to the wrong post! (at least I hope you did)

0 Kudos
cameronshaw
New Contributor

Yes I did. Not sure how I did since, but yeah I did.

0 Kudos
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Melita, this pointed me in the right direction.

What I was trying to create was pretty rough, and was more for on-screen analysis rather than cartographic neatness.

I ended up finding a 16 colour wheel, and used MS Paint to pick out the RGB codes and then applied these to my colour ramp.

Not the prettiest symbology I've ever made, but it gets the message across.

0 Kudos