Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculate aggregate length of lines as attribute in schematic view

06-16-2014 08:49 PM
navidahmadiyeh1
New Contributor
How do you calculate the actual combined geographic line length and propagate this result back to schematic view as an attribute.

For example, If you have 3 line segments in geographic view each 15 meters long and this was simplified to one line segment in schematic view,  how do you get the value of 45 meters as an attribute in schematic view???
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anne-YvonneBlin
New Contributor III
When you said "If you have 3 line segments in geographic view each 15 meters long and this was simplified to one line segment in schematic view", I suppose this simplification results from a node reduction rule, doesn't it?
Our standard reduction rules don't combine the line segments' attributes on the resulting line; the resulting line always keeps their original attribute values.
However, you can implement a custom extended criterion to use with the standard reduction rule to report attribute values on those resulting lines. The sample source code on http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ea8cf017163245febae8f6879f7299d2 should really help you to develop your extended criterion.
0 Kudos
navidahmadiyeh1
New Contributor
Yes it is a node reduction.
Thanks, this is exactly what I needed.
Maybe ESRI will consider making an out of box function for this.   I would assume that electric utilities would need the actual line length after simplifying using node reduction.
0 Kudos