Select to view content in your preferred language

Bitmap picture marker symbol do not export to pdf

Jump to solution
03-28-2016 11:28 AM
AntoineCantin
New Contributor III

Hi,

When exporting my map to pdf, some of my picture marker symbols (little bitmap icons) do not export. Sometimes they appear in the legend, but sometimes not. Export options are as shown in the pictures. I tried to check the Convert Marker symbols to polygons without any luck. It's pretty weird and I can't figure out why. How can I solve this problem?

Thanks,

1.JPG2.JPG

0 Kudos
11 Replies
archshej
New Contributor

I realise this is an old post, but there is still no solution for this in ArcGIS Desktop. The only way I managed to get the symbols in is through PDF editor. ArcGIS Pro seems better at handling pictures markers.

0 Kudos
Mai_Ghaly_Elgazzar
New Contributor II

This update from Esri support that which confirm this problem and solution for it to import your map into ArcGIS Pro:

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000008590

I do a workaround for this problem but in limited cases as populating legend or simple maps with a limited number of symbols, to add those markers pictures symbols manually one by one as embedded pictures to the layout so when export your pdf it will work fine. another solution but this should be on Adobe to export from ArcMap 2 versions with the same size and resolution "recommended 300dpi" one with. PNG extension and the other with. PDF extension, and combine the missing pictures from png to pdf at adobe illustrator or Photoshop then save your pdf.  

Mai Ghaly Elgazzar
0 Kudos