Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcMap Hyperlinking

12-02-2014 08:02 AM
MartinHill1
Emerging Contributor

By no means an ArcGIS newbie, but this problem is stumping me.

A colleague is attempting to hyperlink points in an MXD, so he has added the full path for the images into the points table and sets the feature layer to hyperlink using "Layer Properties > Hyperlinks > Support Hyperlinks using field (check) > 'Hyperlink' > URL" from the TOC.

And this works for him. But when his colleague opens the map, the hyperlinks give an error saying "Unexpected error. Failed to open 'path'"

It's not drive permissions either. I know I'm missing something really simple here, but I've been beating my head off a wall with this all morning and again since lunchtime, so hopefully someone knowledgeable can help.

Running ArcGIS 10.2.0.3348.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HeathBrackett1
Frequent Contributor

Hi Martin,

Are there any blank spaces in the Hyperlink URLs?  If so, you would need to replace all of the blank spaces in the hyperlink strings with the "space" encoded character of %20.

Heath

0 Kudos
deleted-user-z6kkmt7Iu_Ad
Deactivated User

Did you figure out a solution?  I'm having the same problem with one user, no one else.

thanks,

Ann

0 Kudos
deleted-user-z6kkmt7Iu_Ad
Deactivated User

I had the same problem and it was because the user had received a new PC and the default program for IE had not been set.   Went to Start,  searched for Default Programs,  and then set the default program for IE.

0 Kudos
AmandaBishop
Deactivated User

Hello Martin,

Would you mind sharing a sample of your attribute table with me?  I just finished building a short list story map where I actually had to hard code and build my own features inside the map with hyperlinks in order for the details to appear as "Link to Website".  I think I may have the solution for you but I will need to see a sample of your attribute table with the hyperlinks embedded (a screen shot will do).

~ Amanda

0 Kudos
MartinHill1
Emerging Contributor

Hi all,

We solved the problem. It was to do with the way our network uses virtual paths to network drives.

Essentially, it has to be the full "hard" path in the table/hyperlink, not a virtual link.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos