Select to view content in your preferred language

Arc10 - Data Driven Pages not centered

09-13-2010 07:28 AM
RobBurnard
New Contributor II
I have a series of irregular shapes (polygons) that I'm using as a basis for data driven pages.  Each page has a scale and rotation defined.
My problem is that the irregular shapes do not center in the layout.
If I draw a square it centers just fine but if I modify the square and turn it into a triangle (for example) and then refresh the data driven pages it is no longer centered.
Any ideas?
Thank you,

Rob Burnard
City of London
Canada
0 Kudos
16 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
Since I still run 9.3.1 on my main GIS computer for compatibility reasons and testing, I didn't pay much attention to the fact that the DDP does center pages differently than mapbook.  But seeing your post I tested it directly and there are differences, and the result is not good.  Whereas I had towns that were centered I now find parts of them "shifted" with parts off the page.  I wonder if the DDP is using a centroid instead of an extent?  In any case it is one more reason to hold off upgrading my main computer to 10 until I can figure out how to work around this.  Did you report it to ESRI?
0 Kudos
RobBurnard
New Contributor II
Thank you for the reply John.
I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I contacted ESRI.
I will update this thread once I hear back from them.
0 Kudos
GarethBaker
New Contributor II
Hi Rob,
From one London to another, did you ever get a response from ESRI on this? I've got the exact same situation using a polygon index layer and specified rotation/scale fields.  If I turn it back to automatic zoom it seems to be centred okay, but that kind of defeats the object!
It's almost as if it is doing things in an incorrect order - working out the extent, then applying rotation, then applying zoom - or something, but is very odd.
Thanks
Gareth
Greater London Authority, UK
0 Kudos
JasonDeMunck
New Contributor II
Having the same issues with polygons centering with a scale and rotation pulled from the attribute table.  Anyone heard any news on this or find any workarounds?
0 Kudos
John_EdwardScott
New Contributor II
I've had the exact same problem and found no proper fix
I believe the logic behind the scenes is the software's calculating a centre weighted to the shape of the polygon, somehow, rather than averaging the xmin xmax and ymin ymax (which would seem to be simpler)
my index is for a book of zoning maps, where the pages are divided by roads, railway tracks, rivers, municipal boundaries etc
ie many irregular boundaries

my workaround has been to create a whole secondary index with the exact same data
but the problem polygons I've replaced with tightly fitted rectangles (each rotated to the orientation of the page, ie its KeyAngle value), I use this version, called IndexBoxes to drive my mapbook
for many purposes I still need the original index, which I've ended up calling IndexTrue
and therefor need to keep updating the same fields in both versions whenever something changes, which is redundant and increases the chance of human error

the controls in this new Data Driven Pages version of MapBook are so limited I'm sure I've missed nothing and can only hope they revise the extent logic in future versions (the old MapBook centred things perfectly)
but if anybody knows a more elegant workaround than what Ive resorted to I'd love to hear it
0 Kudos
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor
We have been able to reproduce this issue and have logged it as a bug. I�??ll reply back to the forum when a fix is available.

Thanks,
David
0 Kudos
DhanendraPrabhu
New Contributor
Has this problem fixed in Service Pack 1 of ArcGIS 10?

Can you please advise when will ESRI release service pack 2 and / or ArcGIS 10.1?

Thanks & regards,

Dhan
0 Kudos
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor
This was not fixed in 10.0 SP1 and will not be fixed in SP2 either.
0 Kudos
StevenDrake
New Contributor II
I'm encountering the same problem with Data Driven Pages (DDP). The only solution (other than turning off DDP) is to create an index shapefile of regular rectangles as mentioned previously.

Any other fixes/work-arounds?
0 Kudos