Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding descriptions to Attributes - not a domain

12-04-2014 10:45 AM
Shannonwilder
Emerging Contributor

Is there a way to tie description information into the attribute fields? In simple terms, I'm wanting to describe what all my fields are.

For instance we have fields named F_Test_Date. I want the explanation of what this field is (hydrant flow test date) stored somewhere in GIS. It's currently stored in a separate Excel spreadsheet.

We currently have a problem with features that have SO MANY fields and many people don't event know what the fields mean or supposed to contain. Is there a way to do this?

We already have some domains set with descriptions for those. But, I want a description for the whole Field.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MirceaMaierean
Deactivated User

Are you thinking of using the data only in the ArcGIS suite?

Is so your solution is easy using Field Aliases.

Setting a field alias is one way to make your tabular data easier to work with. It is common to find database field names abbreviated or in a coded syntax. Database field names also have to follow naming convention guidelines, which can restrict the use of numbers, spaces, and special characters. Field aliases do not need to abide by these strict rules and allow you to set the name of a field to be easily understood.

Steps:

1. Right-click the table or layer in the table of contents and choose Open Attribute Table.
  2. Right-click a field heading and click Properties.
  3. Type an alias.
  4. Click OK.A new layer is added to the map.

TipTip:

Press CTRL+right-click a field name or use CTRL+SHIFT+N to switch between showing field names and field aliases in a table. You can also toggle by clicking the Table Options menu and clicking Show Field Aliases.

0 Kudos