Northing and Easting?

Jump to solution
08-11-2014 02:18 PM
kathyhardinwalker
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone know if there is a tool that allows you to conduct a search in ArcMap using Northing and Easting?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am a bit confused now...Eastings are the X coordinate and Northings are the Y coordinate

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do you mean the functionality provided by the

Go Too Tool ?

0 Kudos
kathyhardinwalker
Occasional Contributor

Yes, is there something like that function for Northing and Easting?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Can you elaborate on that?

0 Kudos
kathyhardinwalker
Occasional Contributor

As above, like the 'Go To' Tool for XY coordinates.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am a bit confused now...Eastings are the X coordinate and Northings are the Y coordinate

0 Kudos
kathyhardinwalker
Occasional Contributor

Cool, I didn't know that, I thought (because of the state plane, blah blah stuff) that they were possibly different in context and therefore could not be treated the same way/use same tool.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

If the data frame's coordinate system is set to the same coordinate system of your easting/northing values, you can set the units of the Go To XY tool to the same unit (aka meters or feet) and search that way.

Below is a screen grab of ArcMap 10.3 (development, but it's the same in 10.2.x). I set the data frame to use NAD 1927 BLM zone 11N which uses US survey feet. When I open the Go To XY Tool and select the pulldown on the right side, the first unit listed is that of the data frame's coordinate system. If the data frame was using a UTM instead, it would be meters instead.

gotoxyft.png

Melita

0 Kudos
kathyhardinwalker
Occasional Contributor

You guys are the best!

Thank you for your response.

Kathy

0 Kudos