Modify Projection for east west area

Jump to solution
02-05-2018 01:45 PM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I have an area I would like to map. The extent of the area is approximately: -147 to -141 and 69.5 N to 70.5 N (North East Alaska). It falls right between two state plane zones and also between two UTM zones. For now, I just took the Alaska Albers projection and changed the central meridian to -144 and set the standard parallels to 69.6 and 69.8. 

So, I am wondering if this is the best choice. Should try and tweak a UTM zone? Or maybe a Lambert projection?

I am just trying to pick something that will minimize distortion and be focused on the area of interest.

Thanks,

Forest

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BojanŠavrič
Esri Contributor

Creating a custom UTM zone, like you did, is probably the best choice to minimize distortion in your area of interests. Plus, your area spans exactly 6 degrees like any UTM zone. Make sure you change the name of the coordinate system. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

So, Just changed the central meridian to -144 for a copy of the UTM zone 7N projection. It that safe? It looks ok.... 

BojanŠavrič
Esri Contributor

Creating a custom UTM zone, like you did, is probably the best choice to minimize distortion in your area of interests. Plus, your area spans exactly 6 degrees like any UTM zone. Make sure you change the name of the coordinate system. 

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply Bojan. Sounds good. This is what I am going to go with.

0 Kudos