Select to view content in your preferred language

Adjust point file based on new Datum

11-04-2014 05:31 AM
JackSparrow
Deactivated User

I have a very specific question and I'm not even sure this is possible. If it is, it is probably a really easy fix that I just haven't been able to figure out.

While mapping a site with a Total Station, the team used a 'generic' datum point of X - 1000m, Y - 1000m,  Z - 1000m (ex. Point_1 is 10m North of the datum and is thus 1010m). After the fact, the team took a high precision GPS point of the datum location. I need to change the location of the points in the point file in order to reflect that GPS point and their spatial relationships with one another.

Basically, I need to adjust the position of the entire point file based on the new coordinates for the datum, while retaining the spatial integrity of the points.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help out!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm sorry for the late reply.

One possibility is to try using the "Local" projection supported by ArcGIS to create a coordinate reference system for the data. The "Local" projection assumes the world is flat, so is appropriate for data at a very large scale and a small extent. It supports false easting and northing so you can set those to 1000 each and use the center point's coordinates as well. THe projection also supports an azimuth and scale factor if the surveyors calculated a grid-to-ground correction or were using a different "North" than geodetic North.

Melita

0 Kudos