Make same selection from multiple features

03-14-2019 07:52 AM
AriLukas
Occasional Contributor

I haven't been able to find a clear cut answer so I am hoping someone may be able to enlighten me.

I am working in ArcMap 10.5 and have 4 feature layers (  Primary Overhead, Primary Underground, Secondary Overhead and Secondary Underground power lines) and each of these layers has a field called 'Circuit Index.' I have a total of 14 circuits and want to do a Select by Attribute to show the Primary and Secondary power lines that are on each individual circuit. From this selection I plan to create a new shapefile that will show the service area for each circuit. 

Short of going to each of my 4 layers, doing a Select by Attribute, creating a new layer from selection and then merging  all selections for the particular circuit together, I'm not sure what to do.

Is there a tool that I could input all of my features into so that one selection would be created showing all features on a particular circuit or is this something that I would need to create some sort of model for?

I'm sure I could use model builder do a select by attribute then take those selections and merge them but I would have a bunch of unwanted shapefiles that I would need to go back and delete. I do not have a lot of experience using the model builder so if a model would be best route any advice on which tools to include in model builder would be appreciated; to avoid too many unwanted shapefiles.

Any and all constructive advice is much appreciated!

Best

Lukas

0 Kudos
1 Reply
deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR
Occasional Contributor III

Now is a good opportunity to learn a little Python.

Here is the pseudo code:

1. Bring all of your data into memory as layers 
  2. Merge the 4 layers into a new fc
  3. Export the merge
  4. Delete the 4 layers from memory
  5. Bring the merge into memory
  6. Select by attributes
  7. Export your selection as a new fc - this is your final product
  8. Delete the merge from memory
  9. Delete the merge fc

If this is a task you do regularly you can use the Windows Task Scheduler to run this nightly, all hands-off.

Does this help?