Label upside down

Jump to solution
03-26-2018 06:16 AM
LionelMartz
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have a problem with the labeling from ArcMap 10.4.1.

In the attached screenshot you see a label to a polyline. As you see, it appears on the left side. According to the ruls, it should be "above" the polyline, but it apears on the left (below).

The map is not rotated, and the coordinates clearly show, that the line is displayed well.

My issue with this, is that the text of the label describes content of several lines (see sample screenshots) and the order actually matters. Our code calculates the angle of the poyline orientation, and then decides, how the text should be filled. This code works well, but then this problem causes to show the content in a mirrored way.

Can someone tell me the "rule" by when the text is placed corretly ?

Lionel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Lionel,

Thanks for sending the data.  It looks like you'll just need to change the Orientation of Vertical Labels Angle. 

To get there - click Labeling on the Labeling toolbar > click Options > change the Angle to 0

You can read up on this option here - About the general label settings—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Let me know if you're still having issues.

Wendy

View solution in original post

5 Replies
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Lionel,

In the image ArcMap_Issue_Example there are some features to the right of the line that may be blocking placement if they have a weight set to them.  Could you check that under the weights button on the Labeling toolbar?

The feature in the ArcMap_Issue image doesn't show any other features and it still places to the left.  Could you send that feature, and the data from the other image as well if possible and I'll take a look.

I also see that you're using the Standard Label Engine.  Is there a reason that you're not using the Maplex Label Engine?  Have you tried testing with it?

thanks

Wendy

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I don't know the exact answer, but here are some ideas that may help in troubleshooting this:

• Since "Page" orientation is chosen, by any chance is the coordinate system for the map frame different than the coordinate system for the data?  If so, that may account for the unexpected results.
  • Dump out a selection of the "problem" lines plus some that work out well as a feature class.  Calculate the angle of each line.  Then check the line angle versus your result to see if it is labelling as per the line angle or not.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
LionelMartz
New Contributor II

Hi,

unfortunately there is no blocking feature causing this. it also happend without any other feature.

I've tried maplex, and this looks well, but unfortunately we work with an ArcGIS Engine software that does not support Maplex yet. But it helps us, when moving map later to ArcMap, so thanks for that tip!.

I also thought about coordinate system issues, but everywhere are the same.

I reproduced it in some small shape file, which I've append here together with mxd.

Thanks

Lionel

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Lionel,

Thanks for sending the data.  It looks like you'll just need to change the Orientation of Vertical Labels Angle. 

To get there - click Labeling on the Labeling toolbar > click Options > change the Angle to 0

You can read up on this option here - About the general label settings—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Let me know if you're still having issues.

Wendy

LionelMartz
New Contributor II

Thanks, that was the solution!!

0 Kudos