Invalid Sql Statement on adding x/y

Jump to solution
04-04-2019 09:10 AM
LGalyen
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to add some point data to my map the coordinates are in a valid format.  Each time I try to convert the .csv file data using the display x/y data I get this error

I have tried using the first two columns and the last two columns as my input data.

The "Event" is created in the TOC but the attribute table has no data in any of the fields.  I have another map I created using similar data and my point conversion and resulting table was populated and the points displayed properly.

What am I missing?

Projected Coordinate System:
Name: NAD_1983_StatePlane_Arizona_Central_FIPS_0202_Feet_Intl

Geographic Coordinate System:
Name: GCS_North_American_1983

thanks for any suggestions or help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

In the image you posted, those coordinates are NAD83 (geographic coordinate system, decimal degrees) and not in State Plane. Try defining the coordinate system as NAD 1983 (North American 1983) instead.

Melita

View solution in original post

9 Replies
SallyGoodman
New Contributor

Here's an extremely inelegant suggestion. Have you tried saving your .csv data into excel before you upload it? You will have to format each column, and weirdly, although I've got the newest version of excel on my computer, ArcMap only prefers me to use it in Excel 97-2003, so I always "save as" that version. Then try uploading it into your map again. I'm still using ArcGIS 10.x; perhaps this issue has been resolved with ArcPro. Good luck!

LGalyen
New Contributor III

I'm working in ArcMap 10.5.  I can give it a try with excel but I generally use .csv's  because my version of ArcMap doesn't like .xls files.  I end up converting everything to .csv files so it will display.

I will give it a try and see what happens. 

0 Kudos
LGalyen
New Contributor III

Nope .xls and .xlsx files are rejected in ArcMap  "could not add the specified data object to the map"  ugg

0 Kudos
LGalyen
New Contributor III

Okay,  I found a solution to the SQL statement error.  One of the attribute fields was using a ","  and ArcMap doenst like that.  So I corrected this and got no pop up.

My points got into an "Events" format the table data looks fine but my points are still not displaying.....

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

In the image you posted, those coordinates are NAD83 (geographic coordinate system, decimal degrees) and not in State Plane. Try defining the coordinate system as NAD 1983 (North American 1983) instead.

Melita

LGalyen
New Contributor III

Once again superGIShero  has saved my day      I changed to NAD 1983 and the points are there.  How did you determine is was NOT in NAD 1983 State Plane format?  What do I need to look for?

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

By coordinate size. Decimal degrees runs x/longitude +/-180 (or maybe 0 to 360) while y/latitude is +/-90. There's just about no projected coordinate system that uses that range unless you're mapping a building or playing field and using a custom definition centered on the object.

I don't know what's happening with the no attributes or the error on export. It sounds like there's still problems in the spreadsheet. Double-check the column names and look for leading/trailing spaces in the names too.

Take a look at this list of best practices.

Melita

LGalyen
New Contributor III

Okay now when I try export he events into a shapefile using first "this layer's source data and second "the data frame"  I get the pop up box with "There was an error exporting the layer"

Do I need to convert the new .csvEvents back to the state plane format?

0 Kudos
LGalyen
New Contributor III

How can the points show up in the correct places but there is no data in the attribute table of my newly created Events layer????

0 Kudos