arc map 10.7 won't open

10-15-2019 09:03 AM
SheaShirley
New Contributor II

Arc Catalog will open. When I click on a file to open Arc Map 10.7 it will load but then never opens. Was working okay last week. 

11 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you test your ArcMap this way?  Go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.7\bin directory and double click on ArcMap.exe.  Does it start?  Please advise.

0 Kudos
SheaShirley
New Contributor II

Thank you for responding! The only files available is the ArcMap application and then ArcMap.exe.config and neither will open.

0 Kudos
SheaShirley
New Contributor II

ArcCatalog 10.7.1 is now doing the same thing. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay try this - go to your C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Roaming and C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Local directories and rename the Esri folder to Esri_Old.  Then try to start the ArcMap and ArcCatalog applications.  What is the result?

0 Kudos
SheaShirley
New Contributor II

Thank you for all your assistance Robert. So I completed this task. It allowed Catalog to open up again, but Map will initialize, load but then doesn't open the program. Within Catalog - when I try to expand certain files it will attempt to load it but on certain folders will crash. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm...not good.  At this point, I'd recommend you uninstall the ArcGIS Desktop application and reinstall it.  Hopefully a clean uninstall/reinstall will resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
LukeCatania
New Contributor III

Same Issue.  Certain folders crash catalog.  ArcMap 10.7.1 will not open, had same issue with 10.6.1.  Uninstalled and upgraded to 10.7.1.  Before doing do I cleaned up any registry references to ESRI and ArcGIS as well as deleted all leftover directories from previous install.  Still the same issue.  My main change was I had installed QGIS and another program which both use different versions of python, so not sure if that is the issue.

Did you ever get this resolved.  I have a ticket in with ESRI for a solution, but waiting to get on a call with them for help.

0 Kudos
SheaShirley
New Contributor II

Hey!

ESRI did get a hold of me and told me to do this and it worked. Hope it helps!

1) Open Windows Settings >> click Apps >> click Apps and Features >> Scroll down until you see ArcGIS Desktop 10.7.x >> Click on this and choose 'Uninstall"

2)If the software asks you to make changes click yes

3)IMPORTANT In the Program Maintenance Window choose 'Repair' and click next.

4) In the Ready to Repair the Program Window click 'Install'

5) Let the software install fully

6) When the install is finished Click 'Finish'

ReedHunter
New Contributor III

I ran into this problem, and reading the posts here triggered my memory of an old solution that worked for me.  Navigate to your Normal.mxt at C:\Users\<your login>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.7\ArcMap\Templates\ and rename it or delete it.  Next time you start ArcMap it will make a new Normal.mxt, and in my case started without problem.

The same holds true for ArcCatalog.gx in C:\Users\hunterr\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.7\ArcCatalog.

0 Kudos