Network analyst routing with multiple trucks

Jump to solution
11-15-2018 07:37 AM
NathanPinti1
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm attempting to draw routes that multiple trucks have traveled on based on GPS locations collected from their radios.  I've had success drawing a route for one truck at a time but my model is failing when I try to iterate for multiple truck IDs.

The model creates a route, then adds in the GPS locations as 'Stops' (trying to iterate each truck's gps points separately) then tries to export the route as a shapefile.  As the model runs, I can see it iterating the stops in separately but I get the following error when it trys to draw the route:

The solver could not generate the geometry for one or more features in "Routes". The network dataset needs to be rebuilt, or the data license does not cover the extent of the analysis.

WARNING 030025: Partial solution generated.

Is my model set up in a way that makes sense (and if so, how can I solve the error?). The network dataset runs fine with single truck when I remove the iterator and I don't think there is a problem with the license?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If your data is many stops per truck id, rather then iterating over each set of stops, why not load them all into one route layer but map the truck id to the ROUTENAME property? That way multiple sets of routes (one per truck id) will be loaded into one route layer and all will be solved with one solve. Then you can export them out as needed.

Read more on ROUTENAME here:

Route analysis—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If your data is many stops per truck id, rather then iterating over each set of stops, why not load them all into one route layer but map the truck id to the ROUTENAME property? That way multiple sets of routes (one per truck id) will be loaded into one route layer and all will be solved with one solve. Then you can export them out as needed.

Read more on ROUTENAME here:

Route analysis—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Jay Sandhu

NathanPinti1
New Contributor II

Hey Jay, thanks!  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I'm now able to draw a majority of the routes.  Some routes are still not being drawn and I'm still getting the above error:

"Warning: The solver could not generate the geometry for one or more features in "Routes". The network dataset needs to be rebuilt, or the data license does not cover the extent of the analysis."

I'm wondering if there is something off with certain GPS points that are stopping certain routes from being created.  I tried deleting any points that had null GPS coords or were far outside my road network dataset but it didnt help.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

It is hard to know what could be going on without examining the data, but you can start by checking the stops Status field. This is set to Ok if a route was found to it. Select all the stops where the Status is not OK and see what's the status and see what in the network is preventing the routing (e.g., restrictions, disconnected network, etc.).

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos