project las

Jump to solution
10-01-2020 04:50 PM
MariaPanagiotidou
New Contributor

Hi there,

I work with building foortprint and ground contour shp files in Projected Coordinate system WGS_1984_World_Mercator. I also brought a las file of the area but that one is available in the Coordinate system GDA_1994_MGA_Zone_55. Inside the ArcGIS environment, the building polylines, the terrain contours and the las data seem to overlay correctly, however, ArcGIS does the ‘projection on the fly’. While I can use the tool ‘Project’ to change the projected coordinate system of a layer to another, it seems I can’t do the same with las files. The only way I came up with to project the las points to WGS_1984_World_Mercator was to covert las to multipoints, and then add a new field with the points’ height.

Is there a more appropriate way to project las points to another coordinate system. I would also like to export the data as points or coordinates. Is there a tool that exports las files to xyz coordinates?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Maria

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

Maria,

You can use the Extract LAS tool to re-project your LAS to a different coordinate system if you set this in the Environments.

Extract LAS—Help | Documentation 

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Maria,

You can use the Extract LAS tool to re-project your LAS to a different coordinate system if you set this in the Environments.

Extract LAS—Help | Documentation 

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
MariaPanagiotidou
New Contributor

Hi Jay,

You are right. It works perfectly. Thank you!

Cheers,

Maria

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Great!

Please mark my solution as "Correct", so that this thread shows up as solved.

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS