Select to view content in your preferred language

Missing attribute values of features when using feature layer

10-09-2012 06:25 AM
JFr
by
New Contributor
Hello,

I encountered another problem while using a local feature service / feature layer. After creating a map package from a mxd-file (the layers came from a geodatabase) I tried to display the layer contained by this package using ArcGISFeatureLayer. The attribute values of some layers are missing in the application so it's not possible to use symbology based on unique values. Features of the other layers are displayable with this symbology without any trouble. The attribute values are all accessible in the mxd-file and are able to get queried in the application. When using an ArcGISLocalDynamicMapServiceLayer all layers in the used map package are displayed correct.
This problem only appears when feature layers are used and affects always the same layers in a map package. Is it necessary to modify the layers somehow before they can be used properly in an application or are these layers just inaccurate ?

I also noticed that features which are represented by multipoints are not displayed in a feature layer in the application. Is there a way to display multipoints without converting them to point shapes ?

Thanks,

J.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JFr
by
New Contributor
After running the application with map packages created from other geodatabases I guess the problem which I described above has its source in the geodatabase. Nevertheless I cannot figure out why the attribute values of some layers are displayed in the application while the majority of them are invisible. I added a small map package with some of these layers, hoping that will clarify the problem.

Regards,

J.
0 Kudos
JFr
by
New Contributor
I found the solution by myself: all layers, wherein attribute values are missing have a value which contains probably invalid characters. These chars aren't used in English language, like ä, ö, ü or �?. As soon as these value are replaced by other chars (like 'ae' for ä or 'sz' for �?) the attribute values of all layers aren't missing anymore and all layers are displayed in the runtime application.
0 Kudos
EricBader
Regular Contributor II
Wow. Thank you for posting your findings!
I also noticed that if a field has all null values, it won't show up either.

Thanks again!
0 Kudos