GraphicsOverlay remove automatically points

Jump to solution
02-24-2021 01:43 AM
Juance20
New Contributor

Hi, how are you? 

I have one pointcollection with 1742863 points, when add it to GraphicsOverlay:

graphicsOverlay.getGraphics().addAll(pointcollection);

The MapView (with resolution 2614x1469) reflect the drawing, but almost seconds later several points (I ignore amount) are removed and not showing. 

This has to do with performance and equipment ? I have one equipment with 16gb ram and intel processor i5-7400.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

There are 2 rendering modes for graphics overlays.  The default is "Dynamic" which gives you a nice user experience when zooming in and out where the symbol size is animated as you change scale.  This is however expensive on GPU resources so if you've got almost 2 million graphics you will run out of resources.  The other mode is "Static" which I recommend if you have very large numbers of graphics.  It doesn't look as nice when you zoom in or out, but it makes better use of our hardware resources.

I've tried this out in a little app I've written just now.  In dynamic mode it failed to render all points correctly, but switching to static makes it draw correctly.  

private void addLotsOfGraphics() {
        // static rendering is best for very large number of graphics
        graphicsOverlay = new GraphicsOverlay(GraphicsOverlay.RenderingMode.STATIC);
        mapView.getGraphicsOverlays().add(graphicsOverlay);

Collection pointsList = new ArrayList<>();

Random random = new Random();

// using a simple marker symbol and applying this to a renderer for graphics overlay
        SimpleMarkerSymbol simpleMarkerSymbol = new SimpleMarkerSymbol(SimpleMarkerSymbol.Style.CIRCLE, 0xFF00FF00, 10);
        SimpleRenderer simpleRenderer = new SimpleRenderer(simpleMarkerSymbol);
        graphicsOverlay.setRenderer(simpleRenderer);

// add lots of graphics in random places
        for (int i=1; i<2000000; i++) {
            // random point
            Point point = new Point(random.nextDouble() * 10000000, random.nextDouble() * 10000000);
            Graphic graphic = new Graphic(point);
            pointsList.add(graphic);
        }

// add the graphics to the graphics overlay
        graphicsOverlay.getGraphics().addAll(pointsList);
    }

Does this help?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

There are 2 rendering modes for graphics overlays.  The default is "Dynamic" which gives you a nice user experience when zooming in and out where the symbol size is animated as you change scale.  This is however expensive on GPU resources so if you've got almost 2 million graphics you will run out of resources.  The other mode is "Static" which I recommend if you have very large numbers of graphics.  It doesn't look as nice when you zoom in or out, but it makes better use of our hardware resources.

I've tried this out in a little app I've written just now.  In dynamic mode it failed to render all points correctly, but switching to static makes it draw correctly.  

private void addLotsOfGraphics() {
        // static rendering is best for very large number of graphics
        graphicsOverlay = new GraphicsOverlay(GraphicsOverlay.RenderingMode.STATIC);
        mapView.getGraphicsOverlays().add(graphicsOverlay);

Collection pointsList = new ArrayList<>();

Random random = new Random();

// using a simple marker symbol and applying this to a renderer for graphics overlay
        SimpleMarkerSymbol simpleMarkerSymbol = new SimpleMarkerSymbol(SimpleMarkerSymbol.Style.CIRCLE, 0xFF00FF00, 10);
        SimpleRenderer simpleRenderer = new SimpleRenderer(simpleMarkerSymbol);
        graphicsOverlay.setRenderer(simpleRenderer);

// add lots of graphics in random places
        for (int i=1; i<2000000; i++) {
            // random point
            Point point = new Point(random.nextDouble() * 10000000, random.nextDouble() * 10000000);
            Graphic graphic = new Graphic(point);
            pointsList.add(graphic);
        }

// add the graphics to the graphics overlay
        graphicsOverlay.getGraphics().addAll(pointsList);
    }

Does this help?

0 Kudos
Juance20
New Contributor

Thanks, works perfectilly. Did not know the rendering modes.

0 Kudos