Clustering Marker Symbols

02-12-2023 05:12 PM
NebiSARIKAYA
New Contributor III

Is there any way to show hundreds of thousands of marker symbols in a clustered way in Runtime Java SDK for 2D map.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

Hi there,

We are currently prioritizing Clustering features functionality for future releases. As part of that exercise it is quite useful to capture as many use cases as possible. I am very interested in knowing specifics of what you are looking for and if possible elaborate on your workflow and how you would like clustering to work in your current workflows. 

Thanks

Preeti

0 Kudos
NebiSARIKAYA
New Contributor III

I mean clustering the icons based on their attributes. As the view zooms out, the markers/icons which has the same attributes can be clustered so that thousands or hundreds of thousands of icons can be rendered with less performance problems. And user can see the view better. I would like the military symbology icons to clustered for example, based on being hostile and friendly etc... Clustering filter can be modified by the developer based on the attributes.

0 Kudos
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Appreciate it. Your requirement and workflow lines up with our roadmap to provide clustering on feature layers for the most part.
In your example you mentioned about clustering features on layers using dictionary renderer. This is considered as advanced workflow that needs to added across ArcGIS system, like ArcGIS Pro and Online Viewer. That being said, I have added your case of clustering features using Dictionary renderer to our list of features for feature clustering.

Thanks again 🙂

0 Kudos
NebiSARIKAYA
New Contributor III
  • As I know GraphicsOverlay is more flexible than FeatureLayer. If you add clustering of icons in Graphics Overlay it may be useful as well. If this is added to Runtime Java SDK and others it will be useful for developers.