setting up a functional GIS shop

10-08-2019 05:38 AM
ShannonGroff3
New Contributor

Hi there! I work for a medium sized non-profit that is just setting up our GIS program. We currently have two primary analysts, and ~5 users who also have experience with GIS and would benefit from access (that number may grow). Our management has moved completely to a OneDrive/Sharepoint storage with no local server storage. We primarily all work remotely, so that is partly why they've made that move. Ideally we'd have one location where we're housing all our GIS data, projects, resources etc that all GIS users could access and work from. We do not do much concurrent editing, but want to remove redundancy with folks storing the same data in multiple locations. We don't create much data, rather we use data that others have created (some large like national landcover, imagery, etc). I've read some comments about issues with OneDrive/Sharepoint. So far, I've had some syncing issues when working with ArcGIS Pro projects stored on OneDrive, plus have had trouble with running simple python scripts with data stored in Sharepoint. So, it's not ideal. What have other organizations done in this scenario? We are exploring the possibility of ArcGIS Enterprise deployment but don't know if it's overkill for such a small group. Another component is that ideally we'd be able to create interactive apps and maps, with some only viewable internally without requiring AGOL licenses for each viewer (but also many more would be public facing). We're thinking about talking with an Esri business consultant, but wanted to see what info you all might have to share first. Thanks!

7 Replies
AndrewStickney1
New Contributor III

Shannon,

I think talking with an Esri consultant would be a wise move particularly dealing with the server/publishing side of data access. However, I can share a little bit of my County's ideas regarding Cloud vs. file server storage. 

I work for local government and my department has been asked to move all of our documents to SharePoint/OneDrive storage. As the GIS lead for my department, here is what we've sketched out as a plan for the GIS-specific files. 

Use SharePoint/OneDrive for Output PDFs or Microsoft Office documents (i.e. analysis results/reports/documentation)

Use SharePoint to store published/finished map or output products, especially if stored as Microsoft Office document formats. This can include copies of any metadata for GIS datasets exported from the XML version that accompanies the documents. That is where cloud-storage makes sense - SharePoint or OneDrive make it easy to share/edit/comment on one copy of a document rather than emailing multiple copies. 

Use file geodatabases on a file server or ArcGIS Enterprise for editing source GIS datasets

For editing data...depending on the number of edits and whether they are concurrent or separate, we use ArcGIS enterprise/server for core data (i.e. the important datasets that everyone uses for daily operations). The advantage of using Enterprise is its support for versioned data (makes it much easier to restore a backup in case of a GIS software crash or editing error/mistake operation and concurrent editing. However, you have to have a staff person to support the administration of that server, so some organizations prefer to just use file geodatabases for data editing. 

Use ArcGIS Online/ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal) or file geodatabases on a network file server to share reference data

For storing source GIS datasets for reference (i.e. the stuff you view but don't regularly edit), you can either use dedicated file servers/network drives with file geodatabases or ArcGIS Online/ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal). We have started seeing the advantage of ArcGIS Online and Portal for sharing data and maps internally - it functions/benefits in much the same way for GIS data that cloud-storage works for collaborative sharing of Office documents.

If you have a series of standard layers that everyone always uses, you can store those in read-only file geodatabases with layers or map templates that point to those data sources...or you can publish them to ArcGIS Online (even for internal use) and then people can add them to ArcGIS. Admittedly, this is much easier in ArcGIS Pro than in ArcMap/ArcGIS Desktop, but it does have its advantages. 

These are just some thoughts I have had based on my experience migrating from the file server/disk-based world to cloud-base storage. Hope it gives you some food for thought as you reach out to Esri or talk to other consultants. 

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

sc.exe create MongoDB binPath= "\"C:\Program Files\MongoDB\Server\3.4\bin\mongod.exe\" --service --config=\"C:\Program Files\MongoDB\Server\3.4\mongod.cfg\"" DisplayName= "MongoDB" start= "auto"

Jacob Boyle, GISP

T: 909 793 2853 x6363 | jboyle@esri.com<mailto:jboyle@esri.com>

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
0 Kudos
AndrewStickney1
New Contributor III

Jacob,

Was your code sample suggesting a solution along the lines of what is in this blog entry? Integrate big data with the ArcGIS System using a plug-in data source (MongoDB)?

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

Disregard this post, it was intended for another location. 

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
0 Kudos
msevierTPCHD
New Contributor

Where do you store your ArcGIS Pro documents and toolboxes?  Are those also on Sharepoint or the fileshare?  Our org is moving to a sharepoint data storage model and we already use FGDB for our data along with HFL in Portal and AGO for our data.  Non GIS formatted files on sharepoint is fine but I'm testing moving Pro docs and toolboxes to sharepoint now and finding it to cause issues with links between Pro and toolboxes.

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Shannon; great question! I've subscribed to this thread.

I'm in a similar situation, coordinating GIS reference data and project data storage for a consulting firm with 50+ users across the West Coast. We recently upgraded to Enterprise and I am in the process of figuring out how to move our commonly used reference data from multiple file shares to out Portal, yet still keep it organized in a logical hierarchy (by Region, State, County, City, Client, etc.) while also having a descriptive name that includes the publishing date.

I will try to remember to post any updates or issues I find in this workflow here for others to consider. But I'm also very open to solutions other consulting-type firms have implemented.

0 Kudos
sandeeppatil
New Contributor

Hi,

I will develop the Arcgis online map with the java spring framework web application and file will be stored on Aws s3 and database server and java server as per your need on static ip based system in your office or aws based ec2 instance.

if you need the developer then please let me know .i am freelancer gis developer.

0 Kudos