PostgreSQL or MSSQL with ArcGIS for Server

Jump to solution
11-03-2018 06:44 AM
MartinSirkovsky1
New Contributor III

Hey.

This might be a quite general question, but I am wondering if there is any recommendation on which DBMS to use with ArcGIS for Server.

I am deciding on using PostgreSQL or MSSQL. If we do not think about the cost benefits of PostgreSQL, are there any performance or functionality advantages of using one over another?

Thank you

Martin

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MartinSirkovsky1
New Contributor III

Hi.

Thanks for the input. So to conclude, both of these DBMS are fully capable to be used with ArcGIS for Server, but if the integration with AD is an important requirement, than MSSQL would be recommended DMBS to use.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Martin.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

Microsoft SQL Server and PostgreSQL can both be used with great success, but certain tasks(backup, user management, integration with AD) to name a few are "easier" to do in SQL Server, if not can only be done in SQL Server.

It really comes down to you and your organization's comfort and familiarity with each.  

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
MartinSirkovsky1
New Contributor III

Thank  you for you answer, Jacob.

Is integration with AD not possible with PostgreSQL? I believe it should be possible, but the setup may be more complicated with PostgreSql than with MSSQL.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

According to the help we support Database Authentication for ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap: 

Connect to PostgreSQL from ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop - ArcMap

Connect to PostgreSQL from ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  - ArcGIS Pro

I am not sure I have seen anyone use AD or similar with Postgres.

GeodatabaseArcGIS EnterpriseEnterprise GIS

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

Yes, only PostgreSQL Database tier authentication is supported.

Further, using AD with PostgreSQL can be facilitated through direct LDAP connections to AD.  I do not think it's something we support natively. 

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
MartinSirkovsky1
New Contributor III

Hi.

Thanks for the input. So to conclude, both of these DBMS are fully capable to be used with ArcGIS for Server, but if the integration with AD is an important requirement, than MSSQL would be recommended DMBS to use.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Martin.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would agree with that comment on needing SQL Server due to integration with AD.

--- George T.
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This is a MAJOR documentation fail on Esri's part.

Looking at Oracle User accounts and groups—Help | ArcGIS Desktop :

There are two types of authentication used with Oracle databases: operating system authentication and database authentication.

Looking at SQL Server User accounts and groups—Help | ArcGIS Desktop :

There are two types of authentication used with SQL Server databases: operating system authentication and database authentication.

Looking at DB2 User accounts and groups—Geodatabases in Db2 | ArcGIS Desktop :

There are two types of authentication used with Db2 databases: operating system authentication and database authentication.

Looking at Informix User accounts and groups—Help | ArcGIS Desktop :

There are two types of authentication used with Informix databases: operating system authentication and database authentication.

The corresponding statement for PostgreSQL simply doesn't exist.  It seems Esri wants to take credit when they support both, but they don't want to directly acknowledge when they don't support both.  Just like the four DBMS platforms above, there should be a clear statement for which types of authentication are supported so users are not left to guess and infer!

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

Joshua, this is a great point, I'll reach out to the product documentation team for PostgreSQL.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, it would be great to get the issue clarified in Esri's documentation.

0 Kudos