AWS Elastic IP vs ENI for ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud

06-19-2023 10:51 PM
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there,

In the latest documentation for Deploy a base ArcGIS Enterprise portal on AWS—ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud | Documentation for Arc... it talks about using an Elastic IP which has issues when an EC2 instance is stopped/started and the elastic ip is dropped from the instance.

I thought the better way of doing this is to use an Elastic Network Interface (ENI) which remains attached to an instance and removes the issue from stopped/started of the instance.

Can anybody see any issues with this or have they done this themselves in AWS?

Thanks for your time with this.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I thought the point of getting an Elastic IP was that the IP address of your instance does not change upon starting/stopping the instance.

We use that configuration, and have gone through half a dozen maintenance cycles, starting and stopping our instances, and have never had an issue.

Can't speak to the ENI, though, sorry.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Indeed, an Elastic IP can be created in the AWS Console for EC2 and then the Elastic IP assigned to the EC2 Instance, then the EC2 Instance Public IP will be the Elastic IP and if you power off / on the EC2 Instance the Public IP will not change. I hope this clarifies.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Note, it is easier if you use the "AWS Cloud Formation Templates" or the "ArcGIS Enterprise Cloud Builder Tool" to Deploy ArcGIS Enterprise in AWS.

AWS CloudFormation and ArcGIS—ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

ArcGIS Enterprise Cloud Builder for Amazon Web Services—ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud | Documentati...

If you are trying to perform a manual deployment of each ArcGIS Enterprise component ( Portal / Server / Datastore / WebAdptors) then this can be very challenging if you are not an experience ArcGIS Enterprise Administrator.

Deploy a base ArcGIS Enterprise portal on AWS—ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud | Documentation for Arc...

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos