Select to view content in your preferred language

What is SURE for ArcGIS? And 2022 Plenary SURE example?

Jump to solution
07-16-2022 03:23 PM
Labels (2)
COSPNWGuy
Occasional Contributor II

I just got back from the 2022 ESRI UC. It was great to be back with everyone. In the plenary, an example was shown using the brand new world wide 3D building OSM (OpenStreetMap) service combined with imagery and SURE processing to create an incredible 3D\Digital Twin of a city. I tried for the entire conference to find out more info about this incredible example. No one from ESRI who was there seemed to know how it was done, so I'm turning to the community. So overall I have two questions. Can we please clarify what SURE for ArcGIS actually is (or going to be)? There is an entire product page site about SURE but details are scarce. The only answer I could get was that it is the "engine" under Site Scan and Drone2Map. What was shown in the plenary did not use these (I think). And second question, does anyone have details on how the plenary example was done?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi PNWGuy -

So sorry to hear that you could not find information on SURE, or anyone within Esri who could direct you to the proper demo station.  We had staff from the Stuttgart R&D office (creators of SURE) at UC, and it would have been a great opportunity for you to learn more.  

We also had this session that specifically talked about SURE for ArcGIS:

ArcGIS Pro: An Introduction to Reality Mapping

Reality mapping solutions enhance GIS by using photogrammetry to create 2D and 3D basemaps from imagery and lidar. Learn about the photogrammetric processing solutions for aerial images with ortho mapping and SURE

Briefly, SURE for ArcGIS is production-oriented desktop software that provides the capability to create true orthos and 3D meshes (like what you saw in the plenary) from professional aerial camera imagery - it does not process drone imagery, and that is why you heard references to the core technology from SURE being included in Drone2Map and Site Scan.  Let us know if you have additional questions and we can provide more information.  

Cody B.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi PNWGuy -

So sorry to hear that you could not find information on SURE, or anyone within Esri who could direct you to the proper demo station.  We had staff from the Stuttgart R&D office (creators of SURE) at UC, and it would have been a great opportunity for you to learn more.  

We also had this session that specifically talked about SURE for ArcGIS:

ArcGIS Pro: An Introduction to Reality Mapping

Reality mapping solutions enhance GIS by using photogrammetry to create 2D and 3D basemaps from imagery and lidar. Learn about the photogrammetric processing solutions for aerial images with ortho mapping and SURE

Briefly, SURE for ArcGIS is production-oriented desktop software that provides the capability to create true orthos and 3D meshes (like what you saw in the plenary) from professional aerial camera imagery - it does not process drone imagery, and that is why you heard references to the core technology from SURE being included in Drone2Map and Site Scan.  Let us know if you have additional questions and we can provide more information.  

Cody B.