Raster Generalization - Expand, Shrink - not working

05-19-2017 10:28 AM
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I am trying to use the raster generalization tools "expand" and "shrink" but the operation fails. I have been successfully using the majority filter tool on the same data in the same project. Here is an example message from the failed expand process:

Executing: Expand C:\Users\Bob\Documents\ArcGIS\Default.gdb\hm124mf84rc D:\Default.gdb\Expand_hm1241 10 50000
Start Time: Fri May 19 09:18:08 2017
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
The table was not found. [VAT_Expand_hm1241]
("esriDataSourcesRaster.RasterWorkspace") Failed to create raster dataset
ERROR 010032: Unable to create the scratch grid C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\arc3AEA\t_t963.tif. Expand failed
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
Failed to execute (Expand).
Failed at Fri May 19 09:20:21 2017 (Elapsed Time: 2 minutes 13 seconds)

Please help.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you actually go into the Environments tab in the tools you are using and set your scratch workspace there?  I would set them to real (my term) folders that are short.  Apparently you are working in a restricted environment so I can't comment on your setup, but in my teaching labs, we have a 'users is for losers' motto that when you set all workspaces to local drives, then the problems are fewer.  This is one of the first questions I ask about workspaces... what is your working folder and what is your scratch folder.  If they aren't set, then they need to be ruled out.  Let me know if that works.  (ps  what is the ~ tilde in your folder path? is that real or a contraction of the true path?)

0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan, 

I tried running a few more times with different scratch and workspace settings. I attached a shot of the latest settings and copied the error below.

Executing: Expand HM124_SIC22.tif Y:\Bob\HM124_SIC23.tif 10 50000
Start Time: Wed May 31 05:55:44 2017
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
("esriDataSourcesRaster.RasterWorkspace") Failed to create raster dataset
ERROR 010032: Unable to create the scratch grid C:\WORKSP~1\t_t323.tif. Expand failed
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
Failed to execute (Expand).
Failed at Wed May 31 06:37:05 2017 (Elapsed Time: 41 minutes 20 seconds)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

weird... your scratch say c:\WORKSP~1\... which looks ok... then I look at the image and it is wickedly speckled.  I suspect that you haven't got a prayer of doing an expand shrink on that file without a light dusting of a 3x3 majority filter to get rid of the single and double cell regions.  try that... if that fails, clip out an area and see if it works on a smaller sample.... if that doesn't work.. try PRO

0 Kudos