NoData holes in output of Mosaic to New Raster

10-27-2023 08:41 AM
Labels (2)
Amaris
by
New Contributor II

Hi folks,

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.4 Mosaic to New Raster tool to mosaic ArcticDEM tiles (tiff format; very large dataset, each tile is ~1 GB, mosaicking 30ish together at a time). The rasters output by the tool have NoData holes in them in random locations - not at image overlaps where the actual mosaicking takes place - and in places where there is valid data in the input rasters. This is not an issue of pyramids being inadequate, it is genuine NoData.

Any tips for how to prevent these holes, please and thanks?

Amaris

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

perhaps overview? as in this post?

Solved: mosaic dataset will not make overviews without hol... - Esri Community

if the nodata is indeed regular shaped

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Amaris
by
New Contributor II

I don't think so, the holes are not regularly shaped and they have a value of NoData, not just no imagery displaying.

0 Kudos
Peter_Becker
New Contributor

Can you confirm that the NoData values are not in the source, but only in the mosaic.

Note that some of the Arctic DEM source data does have a lot of holes, but has a lot of temporal coverage. 

Also check what NoData values are defined in the source. No Data values will be applied to the output if in the source.

Do also take a look at existing image services of this data. https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=db38a951a2b643478a942ab22cd78fc6  Also the Arctic DEM explorer

Is there any reason you need to mosaic all the image together? Consider using a mosaic dataset instead. If you create a mosaic dataset, do you also see there holes?

Also note that if you want the holes fill there are is very good Elevation Void Fill function to fill them. 

0 Kudos
Amaris
by
New Contributor II

Yes, I have confirmed that the NoData values are not in the source data, only in the mosaic. I'm aware of the location of the actual holes in ArcticDEM data in my study area. There are none in the area I'm currently working on. It is also not an issue of overviews not being correctly built because the explore tool returns a value of NoData, not a legitimate value but with nothing displayed visually.

NoData in the source is -9999, NoData in the output is 3.4e+38 by default.

This data is being used for surficial geology research, and the research scientists I support prefer to have the data as a mosaic. I will be generating a hillshade from it, and it is also used for extracting local topography statistics for landforms of interest.

I know that this is an ArcGIS problem because QGIS creates the mosaics without issue.

0 Kudos