Mosaic .tif files with GPS lat/long

12-26-2018 06:23 AM
CarriePhillips2
New Contributor

I have a set of jpeg images, 101 of them that need to be mosaiced into one image. I have converted all of them to .tif files. I created a mosaic dataset in arcCatalog and added the images. This issue I am having is the images are overlain on top of one another. The image has GPS latitude/longitude coordinates attached to it which can be seen in the properties when you right click the image in the folder on my computer. ArcCatalog and ArcMap are not reading those coordinates to place the image at that x,y. It doesn't even show up when you look at the attriubutes in arcCatalog or ArcMap. The images overlap in places so georeferencing doesn't seem like the route to go for that many images. Any guidance or tips is appreciated

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

From what you have stated it does not sound as if the images have been georeferenced. Can you clarify the source of the images and the GPS coordinates? If the images are collected using a drone and the GPS coordinates are those of the drone then you will need to use Drone2Map or the Ortho Mapping capabilities in ArcGIS Pro (advanced). This will enable you to orient the imagery and create an orhtophoto mosaic from them. Directly use the JPEG images, there is no need to first convert to TIF. If images were taken with hand held camera and are just geotagged, then look at the following blog Add geotagged photos to your web map  or use the following in Pro GeoTagged Photos To Points—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop  . These will place the images on a map, but will not georeference them together.

CarriePhillips2
New Contributor

This is my first experience working with drone imagery. It was collected by drone with a dji camera. The GPS  coordinates are a lat/long in the following format:    36; 35; 0.658440000034. I found the format different from what I have worked with, partly where my confusion is coming from. To clarify something you stated, if my issue is needing to use the Drone2Map, it will read the jpeg files? 

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

My recommendation would be to try out Drone2Map as this will provide the most streamline user interface. Both Drone2Map and the Ortho Mapping capabilities will work directly with the jpeg images and read the GPS coordinates from the Exif headers. 

CarriePhillips2
New Contributor

I will give that a try. Thank you for the response. It was very helpful.

0 Kudos