Select to view content in your preferred language

LAS Building Multipatch Creates Excessive Vertices

05-14-2023 11:08 PM
Labels (2)
FrankOuyang
Esri Contributor

I followed the guide from this post Extract 3D buildings from lidar data to create building model using point cloud. The input point cloud has already been fully classified with all the building points. The building footprint generated from the point cloud has pretty good quality as can be seen below.

FrankOuyang_1-1684129927769.png

However, the multipatch building model built using LAS Building Multipatch (Pro v3.1.1)  from the building footprint and the point cloud contains too many excessive vertices. Is there any function can smooth the building model or should I try a different sets of input parameters? I have already tried running the function numerous times with different combinations of sampling resolution and simplification tolerance but cannot improve too much further. 

FrankOuyang_2-1684130273304.pngFrankOuyang_3-1684130277201.pngFrankOuyang_4-1684130289831.png

Thanks for your help in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YuriPotawsky
Esri Contributor

Hi @FrankOuyang,

Looks like you went through the entire workflow outlined in the Learn lesson you included.  After you run the "Regularize Building Footprints" GP tool and select the vertices, are they any angular/triangular edges on the buildings? The easiest way to check for this would be through the "Feature Vertices to Points" with the all points parameter selected. This should provide an output point for all vertices in your polygons which you could run against a selection.  Just a thought to see if there is some angular geometry prior to creation of the multipatch geometries.

Yuri

0 Kudos
ChungBuiMinh
New Contributor II

Hi @FrankOuyang ,

I had the same problem with you. Did you find the solution? Can you share it with me?

Thank you so much

0 Kudos
Remi_Foicik
New Contributor II

Hello Frank !

I have the same issue, did you find a solution ?

Have a nice day,

Rémi

0 Kudos