Best Practice for Optimizing Mosaic Dataset

Jump to solution
08-30-2022 02:22 PM
TraceStanford1
New Contributor III

I have 2 .SID files that I need to combine into one Mosaic Dataset. One is a county-level NAIP dataset, about 2 GB in size. The other is a 3-inch resolution dataset that we have flown and processed by a private company. That file is about 45 GB. I've combined them into one Mosaic Dataset, but the rendering speed is very slow. Is there a chain of the modification and optimization tools I should run in order to make the dataset faster? I've changed to compression to JPEG with a level of 80, but it is still slow to pan and zoom. I've tried running the Build Pyramids and Statistics tool, but it ran for over 12 hours and did not complete. So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how best to optimize performance for this Mosaic Dataset. I'd like to avoid caching it, since it would take up so much space on my server

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

MrSID files include pyramids and there should be no need to create overviews (unless you have a large number of MrSID files). If one of the files fully overlaps the other and has a different resolution then you may want to review the MinPS, MaxPS values so that only the appropriate image is being accessed depending on scale. MrSID files should display fast if they are stored on local storage. They are not cloud optimized in that reading any section of the image may required multiple requests to the storage system. Please check reading the MrSID files directly in ArcGIS Pro from the same machine as the server. Are they both slow? The performance for serving should be very similar. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

MrSID files include pyramids and there should be no need to create overviews (unless you have a large number of MrSID files). If one of the files fully overlaps the other and has a different resolution then you may want to review the MinPS, MaxPS values so that only the appropriate image is being accessed depending on scale. MrSID files should display fast if they are stored on local storage. They are not cloud optimized in that reading any section of the image may required multiple requests to the storage system. Please check reading the MrSID files directly in ArcGIS Pro from the same machine as the server. Are they both slow? The performance for serving should be very similar. 

0 Kudos