Linear Regression Raster data

04-09-2017 09:32 PM
MadhusankaJayawardhana
New Contributor II

I have a five raster layers with same cell size and same spatial reference. I want to perform regression analyze to find out the relationship between these layers.  How do I perform a regression analyze in ArcGIS? It hard to export as ASCII file because these raster images have 5000x5000 grids. 

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Geographically weighted regression... from the help files

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

If you wanted to do simple regression, you could create a subset using :

Create Random Points—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

and

Sample—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Then just process the output in Excel or something.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

But in any event... heed the warning in the topic link I posted.  And of course you will need data measured on an interval/ratio scale since nominal or ordinal data are not appropriate for any sort of regression analysis and you would be better performing tests of association (perhaps Chi square)

MadhusankaJayawardhana
New Contributor II

GWR regression works only for the feature classes. But I have a raster datasets. How do I perform GWR analyze using rasters.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Short of converting back to vector... what are your variables? are they floating point rasters of data on an interval or ratio scale? or are they nominal/categorical data?

0 Kudos
MadhusankaJayawardhana
New Contributor II

There are four floating point rasters and one categorical raster. The attributes are rooftop surface temperature, building height, rooftop area, rooftop slope,  and albedo. Rooftop aspect layer has a categorical data. These all rasters have the same spatial resolution of 0.25m. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

why not classify the rasters into categories and use Combine to produce a map showing the various combinations.  These data seem more appropriate to a test of association/difference than a correlation/regression.  (ie south-facing, dark surfaces will have a higher temperature, than north-facing light surfaces etc etc)  I don't think you are trying to predict anything or describe the regime by an equation are you?

MadhusankaJayawardhana
New Contributor II

I performed raster based multiple regression with Clark Labs Terrsat (Idrisi) software to find the correlation between above-mentioned layers. Thank you for all

0 Kudos
MadhusankaJayawardhana
New Contributor II

I performed raster based multiple regression with Clark Labs Terrsat (Idrisi) software to find the correlation between above-mentioned layers. Thank you for all

0 Kudos