Missing netCDF data through central meridian in ArcMap 10.3

Jump to solution
06-26-2019 06:54 AM
Labels (1)
DuncanSly
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have an issue with some netCDF data I have downloaded from the NCEP/NCAR reanalysis plots on the NOAA website (https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/composites/day/). When imported into ArcMap, the data appears, but shows up blank through the central meridian for some reason (see attached image below).

I am using the WGS84 coordinate system, and the rest of the world shows up fine, but I am analysing meteorological parameters across the entire European continent, so the blank data through the central meridian is not something I can ignore unfortunately.

I am not sure why this is happening or how I can fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanSly
New Contributor II

Finally solved this. For anyone who reads this with a similar issue: what you have to do is duplicate the existing raster file twice, import the two copies into your map, draw two new polygons (one around the entire left side of the central meridian and one around the right side). You then use the clip tool and edit the output extent to each half of the raster. Once you've done this, you need to export the netCDF data into a raster file (you will need this copy shortly). You then use the mosaic tool to merge the two rasters together, which will interpolate your dataset across the prime meridian, thus eliminating the problem. If any of this is unclear let me know and I will try and explain in more detail. It's such a horrible issue, I was stuck for about a week straight.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DuncanSly
New Contributor II

Finally solved this. For anyone who reads this with a similar issue: what you have to do is duplicate the existing raster file twice, import the two copies into your map, draw two new polygons (one around the entire left side of the central meridian and one around the right side). You then use the clip tool and edit the output extent to each half of the raster. Once you've done this, you need to export the netCDF data into a raster file (you will need this copy shortly). You then use the mosaic tool to merge the two rasters together, which will interpolate your dataset across the prime meridian, thus eliminating the problem. If any of this is unclear let me know and I will try and explain in more detail. It's such a horrible issue, I was stuck for about a week straight.

0 Kudos
DuncanSly
New Contributor II

This is what my merged raster looked like after, just for proof.

0 Kudos
HafizaIsty
New Contributor

Hi, I have the same problem and I don't understand how to fix that. Please help me. 

0 Kudos