Select to view content in your preferred language

Import NetCDF Files

05-11-2018 11:13 AM
JuanPerez7
New Contributor

Hello, I have some trouble importing NetCDF files into Arcmap 10.5. In previous versions (10.1 for example), I just run a batch process with Multidimension Tools from ArcTool Box (Make NetCDF Raster layer). In that case, I had daily NetCDF files information, and as a result of its process, all the imported images (365 days per year) could be seen inside the Table of Contents.

In the actual version I run the same batch process, but in the Table of Contents only appears the last NetCDF file that figures in the batch list. The previous 364 files doesn't apperars on the Table of Contents.

Is it a BUG or I'm just doing something wrong? I'm working with MERRA-2 data (surface PAR Radiation).

Thanks in advance.

Juan.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did it not work with the original data that you used in 10.1?  Trying to isolate whether it is the version of arcmap change or the data are somehow different

0 Kudos
JuanPerez7
New Contributor

Hello Dan, thanks for your reply. Maybe It wasn't clear enough last e-mail. I started working with TRMM and GPM data whith the same NetCDF format. In ArcGIS 10.1 I was able to load a full 365 days list (batch list using Make NetCDF Raster Layer tool) into the Table of Contents and then to extract the information I needed using a point shapefile (Extract Multi Values to Points tool). At the end of the process I had a worldwide point shapefile that contained 365 columns (one per day) with precipitation data.

I run the same process with MERRA data (PAR Radiation) in ArcGIS 10.1 and It worked the same way, but when I checked if the extracted points data was correct, I found that the whole information was wrong. There was a huge amount of zero values and there were almost no match between NetCDF values and its correspondent shapefile point. I asked for any solution for this problem in some forums and i was told that it was a ArcGIS 10.1 bug for Extract Multi Values to Points tool.

So, I asked a colleage to run the same process in ArcGIS 10.5, just to know if this bug was solved in this new version. Fortunately the extracction tool works fine, but the problem now is that there is no possibility to load the whole batch list (365 files) into the Table of Contents. When I run the Make NetCDF Raster Layer tool in batch mode, only the last file of the 365 days list is finally added to the Table of Contents.

I also tried to dragg the NetCDF files into the Table of Contents. It works fine, but the problem is that the whole layers are shown with the same dimention name (PARDRLAND in this case), and I have to change this names manually so that I could run the Extract Multi Values to Point tool (otherwise it crashes because all the layers have the same name).

Finally, I tried to export TIFF files first and then extract data with shapefile points, but the problem is that ArcGIS creates square pixels by default for exported images. I can correct the pixel size, but only when I export imeges one by one. I couldn't find a batch option to solve this problem. MERRA images has a 0.5 x 0.625 degrees pixel, so when I want to use the original point shapefile whit the exported TIFF images I get geolocalization errors.

Thanks again!

Juan.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does this same toolset exist for importing NetCDF files into ArcPro?

0 Kudos