Select to view content in your preferred language

GIS Certification options

07-28-2023 03:24 AM
dexie
by
New Contributor

I’ve been learning to use ArcGIS on the job, mostly through Google and trial and error, but I want to learn properly and have something helpful on my resume. I am looking at a Certificate program (specifically at Utah State) for a graduate-level certificate, but then I found the Coursera course which would be cheaper. Besides the cost, is there a benefit to doing one education option over the other?

4 Replies
JimWooten
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Dexie;

Through the certificate program at Utah State you would earn graduate-level credits.  If you decide to pursue a Master's program, those credits would likely transfer to that program.  You might also want to check with your employer; they may have a tuition reimbursement program which could make one or both programs less expensive.  Finally, if your employer has a ESRI license for the software, you're able to take training courses through the ESRI Academy.  

-Jim

0 Kudos
GaryMorris2
New Contributor III

Other than cost, I would also look at the quality of the program.  I have noticed over the years that not all programs are created equal just by observing what different graduates of different programs have been exposed to.  I did mine at UCLA (100% virtually) and I cannot recommend it enough.  The program and professors really set me up for success.

0 Kudos
JimWooten
Occasional Contributor II

Penn State's World Campus GIS programs are also excellent.

0 Kudos
DougSims_GT
Occasional Contributor

If you have access to the ESRI training site, there are plenty of education options there as well. Those range from short tutorials up to multi-day instructor-led classes. (Although, they have varying degrees of cost as well.)

If you want something on your resume, follow their learning paths there and get one of the ESRI certifications based on your area of expertise (and taking one of their certification tests). 

0 Kudos