Select to view content in your preferred language

Academics and Facilities/Public Safety GIS Org Structure Questions

2 weeks ago
UofSC_KevinHaynes
Occasional Contributor

Here at the University of South Carolina, our GIS office (just me) is housed in Geography. I'm in discussions with leadership about restructuring GIS within the organization to allow for better funding models and scalability. I know ESRI advises University Libraries as a good spot, but here, that is just another college. We want to leverage money from the other parts of the university (Facilities, Legislative Liason, Student Affairs, VP Research, and the Colleges/provost), which means I need to be higher in the organizational structure. I also do not want to split up academics and campus operations. There should be one central GIS services office. We all operate under the same university mission (Education and Research). They should work together to support each other. Organizationally, that's super complex. With that said, 2 questions. 

-> Do any universities have 1 office serving Academics and Campus Operations? How does that work? Org structure and funding model. 
-> If you don't do that, how does your campus organize GIS? 

Feel free to reach out to me at kevin.haynes@sc.edu if you happen to have more to say than a Comment here. 

0 Kudos
0 Replies