WebGIS DR Restore to a new machine fails

Jump to solution
06-21-2021 09:12 AM
WarrenMedernach
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

We are attempting to use the WebGIS DR tool to backup our current deployment and restore to a new machine.

Current environment:

• 2 servers at 10.8.1, both running Windows Server 2016:
    • 1 primary hosting server running Portal, Server and webadaptors
    • 1 image server

The WebGIS DR backup process seemed to work fine after we addressed some storage issues.

We are now attempting to restore to a new 'primary hosting server' (leaving the image server the same) and the process errors out with the following message:

Failed to restore the ArcGIS Server:
Url: https://maps.srk.com/image.
{"code":500,"messages":["Import site failed with the following error. Import operation does not support creating a restore point on Linux and importing it on Windows."],"status":"error"}

The error itself seems nonsensical as the backup came from Windows OS and is being restored to a Windows OS

Has anyone seen a similar error before?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Yeah, that guy is the problem. It's a cloud based cache store, (AWS S3 bucket or Azure BLOB container). Can you edit the directory to see if the information related to how it was registered is familiar? The restore sees that forward slash and thinks the backup is from a linux environment. You may be able to unregister it, restore, then re-register it with the same name so existing services that use it can still access the cache, if any are configured to do so.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you using forward or back slashes for your directories/config-store paths on your source site?

0 Kudos
WarrenMedernach

Hey @JonathanQuinn, thanks for the reply.

I'm using the same paths that I used during the webgisdr backup:

SHARED_LOCATION=\\\\<FQDN>\\backups\\temp
BACKUP_LOCATION=\\\\<FQDN>\\backups\\final

Seeing how I'm now running the webgisdr tool 'from' the machine where these locations are, maybe I should just try using the the drive letter?  BACKUP_LOCATION=D:\\backups\\final

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry, what I'm wondering about are the directories and config-store paths, i.e.:

JonathanQuinn_0-1624303625270.png

Are they using forward or backslashes, (C:/arcgisserver/directories/arcgisoutput)?

0 Kudos
WarrenMedernach

Aaaah I see, here's some screen caps, albeit, I'm not sure what the cloudStores/arcgis-cloudstore Cache is or where it came from?  I don't recall seeing that before?

WarrenMedernach_0-1624304294553.png

WarrenMedernach_1-1624304304215.png

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Yeah, that guy is the problem. It's a cloud based cache store, (AWS S3 bucket or Azure BLOB container). Can you edit the directory to see if the information related to how it was registered is familiar? The restore sees that forward slash and thinks the backup is from a linux environment. You may be able to unregister it, restore, then re-register it with the same name so existing services that use it can still access the cache, if any are configured to do so.

WarrenMedernach

Thanks for the info @JonathanQuinn .  I can't seem to find a way to 'unregister', and it won't let me delete it.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

It may not let you unregister because it's in use. Do you have any cached services? If so, I'd check to see which cache directory they're configured to use.

0 Kudos
WarrenMedernach

Thanks for the assistance @JonathanQuinn 

I remapped the cache folder to the few services referencing that cloud store and was then able to remove the data store and proceed successfully with the restore.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you're open to do it, I'd suggest contacting Support and log a bug. The logic to figure out if it's a backup from a Windows site vs Linux site is fairly... simple. It checks whether any directory paths contain / during a restore. If you directories are using C:/arcgisserver/... or, in your case, using cloud storage, this check will fail. Server should be smarter about how to figure out where the incoming site is coming from.