Select to view content in your preferred language

Working on workshop format for setting up tools to help gather metrics & communicate ROI for GIS programs in Local Gov

05-05-2023 08:17 AM
Labels (3)
Kara_Shindle
Regular Contributor

Hi all:

Wrote an article on tips for making your GIS Departments proactive instead of reactive.  I'm wanting to take this and transform it into a workshop format.

Tips & thoughts on how to do this?

My thoughts are:

1. take people through the analysis I did to identify my roadblocks

2. Identify goals to help overcome roadblocks in a brainstorming session

3. Identify data to support goals

4. Implementation ideas for tools & data collection 

I really want a guided, interactive format, but I've not really done a workshop before, so looking for guidance.

Note: I am in Local Government so that is how mine is framed, but not tied to this 

Thanks!

4 Replies
ErikLash4
New Contributor II

I think this is great!

Updated reply.  Can't get the article to open - internet issues. But see that it is about making the team proactive not reactive. 

...as a historically reactive organization the biggest challenge we face is in implementing strategic plans for change management and communicating the those proactive step-wise activities through non-technical channels in leadership.

Modernizing operational planning has created a polarized user base within my org - reactive based users forming logic around the "we've done it this way forever, why should we change?" question and the proactive user base with requirements for the most recent technological advancements as part of their organizational strategic planning.

-Erik Lash
Hawaii County GIS
Kara_Shindle
Regular Contributor

Hi, @ErikLash4  thanks for the reply! 

I like the thought of bringing up the "but we've always done it that way" mindset - I run into that a lot.  

Do you feel that either mindset is necessarily a negative or positive one?  I can see the pros/cons of each and I'm also curious how you've handled both approaches, if you're willing to share!

0 Kudos
SallieVaughn
Occasional Contributor

What sort of workshop do you want to develop? How many hours/days might it be? Virtual or in person, or both? Do you need printed materials, sample datasets, etc?

I personally like to work through an example for things like this, especially since GIS people are generally people who learn by seeing and doing.

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle
Regular Contributor

My initial thought was that I could easily do this in a 1 day workshop.  I'm going to be testing out a shorter one at a local users group, and I may format two lengths - full day and 1/2 day.

In-person with a virtual option is the tester format we are discussing.  I would have printed materials for people to walk through the guided analysis and brainstorming parts.  We would literally be working through some problems and brainstorming some solutions, and then moving onto potential data sources to help answer questions and finally wrapping up with some examples of how to collect the data & start using it.

0 Kudos