What are the key elements of a good map?

01-31-2024 09:11 PM
Faiez
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi!

What are the key elements of a good map and why they are important?

I knew, Title, Scale, Legend and North Arrow are some of the elements, what else?

Best,

Faiez

9 Replies
RonaldHaug

Hi Faiez,

In Cartography class we learned about essential map elements. To your list I would add the map, neatline, source credits, author name, datum and projection, relative fraction, and the date.  

Very importantly, we learned about map hierarchy, balance, unity and harmony, about where your eye goes when you look at the page, and about pulling features to the foreground so they pop and pushing them into the background so they are there but not competing for your attention.

We also learned about labeling, their placement, and label hierarchy, the three font rule, and so much more.

If you haven't taken a cartography class yet,  there is an Esri Mooc course coming up in April.

Faiez
by

Hi!

Thanks for your kind words and time. Technology has continually changed in many fields as well as in cartography to meet the demand of ArcView and Mapmakers users. I do believe that any cartography course that meets the demands of today’s cartographers generation will be useful.

Faiez_0-1706807795491.png

Best

Faiez

PattyLundy
New Contributor

Hi,

Depending on the map, we have many people on our team who are color blind, so we try to keep colors completely different as they can tell the differences.  We also try to use slashes or dots.

Patty

RonaldHaug

Hi Patty,

Great point!

Color selection is another big topic in cartography class.

We visited "Color Brewer" website for color selection  https://colorbrewer2.org/#type=sequential&scheme=BuGn&n=3

and "Color blindness simulator" https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

This is now essential as our agency requires section 508 compliance.

MohdTowfiq
Esri Contributor

Beside this, I would like to add up one more thing that is adding Grids/Graticules to the map would improve the map credibility...

0 Kudos
duworcorvah
New Contributor

These elements are good for map making. 

0 Kudos
EricJohnson2
New Contributor III

Hello, Faiez.

A file path is always helpful too.

Faiez
by

Hi! 

They are all good points besides the main four elements which are title, scale, north arrow and legends, actually it depends to the purpose of creating a map. 

Best,

KF

ODWC_GIS
New Contributor III

Hey Faiez!  I notice you ask these questions that would be assigned in early geography courses, eventually add an oversimplified summary as a comment, and then don't mark the question as resolved.

We're doing your homework for you, aren't we?  😢  

Could you at least let us know what our answers were marked by your instructor?

0 Kudos