GIS Managers - what do you look for when hiring?

12-18-2015 06:07 PM
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Given the interest and controversy in the recent topic Does GISP make a difference for GIS analysts? , it may be beneficial to hear specifically from the folks who are involved in the hiring of GIS professionals as to what they and their organizations value when choosing to hire.

Hiring is not a cut and dried science. Pragmatically, as a hiring manager, you have a limited amount of time to evaluate potential candidates.  You are tasked to fill a need and there are usually many candidates to choose from for each position.

So how do you test/vet GIS candidates?  Specifically, how do you figure out the best candidate for your organizations needs? 

• Is a degree important?  If so, what level, and does it have to be in GIS?
  • Experience?
  • Certification(s)?
  • Candidates portfolio?
  • How the candidate interviews?
  • How the candidate performs on a test you give them?
  • Their recommendations from other professionals/professors?
  • None of the above?
  • All of the above?

What factors into your organizations decision? And overall, does the process yield good results, or are there other methods you think might be better?

Obviously this will vary by organization and position requirements, but it will educational for all if we get a cross-section of replies so folks can get a better understanding of the ways it is done.  So if you are a manager hiring for a GIS position, how do you do it?

Chris Donohue, GISP

15 Replies
ColeAndrews
Occasional Contributor III

Could be a thread in and of itself, but how many of you actually value cover letters? Seems likely that the responses will depend largely on perspective.

My experiences have basically pointed to 'don't waste your time'. Private consulting hasn't wanted anything to do with them in their hiring processes. Hiring manager for business/finance at a University in the area also doesn't look at them even if they're submitted with the resume. Also know several others in HR realm that don't care for them.

Then again, others will say they won't review a resume without a cover letter submitted.

CarmenBremmer
New Contributor III

I alluded to this in my post, but I think cover letters are extremely valuable.  Rarely does a person
have all of the experience listed in the job description, so a cover letter allows to explain how you would overcome that gap and how your current skills would apply to the position.  It shows me that you actually read the job description and have a genuine interest in the position as opposed to just mass applying. 

Our company uses a common talent management software that shows me every position in the company you applied for.  You see some people who apply for every open position in the company so you know they aren’t interested and if they had to write a cover letter for each, you know they would be more selective. 

For any position that I am interested enough in to submit an application, I make it a point to compose a cover letter.  It also makes me think about the position and if I would be a good fit.  Even if it is ignored, at least you know you put the effort forth to try to get the job and not wonder if a cover letter would have made a difference.

JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

Great thread! 

When applying for any job, always tailor the resume and cover letter to that specific job.  Use keywords from the job posting to get through the automated program and HR.  If the application allows for one, ALWAYS make a cover letter!  After an interview, it is wise to send a thank you email to the interview panel or at least the main hiring manager.  Always be courteous and think before opening your mouth! 

How you interview is the most important.  If you are nervous, don't worry.  It's more about how you talk about your knowledge and demonstrating you know these things and aren't talking out of your you-know-what.  Also if English isn't your native language, try to speak clearly because a few people I have interviewed I couldn't say yes to because I understood maybe 2 words the whole 30 minute interview.  I had no idea if they actually understood us or if they answered any questions appropriately  Most of the time GIS jobs require being a liaison or coordinating and interfacing with a lot of people so you need to demonstrate you can communicate clearly.

I always start with "describe your experience with GIS..." and talk about the jobs and education relevant.  Don't just read off your resume, I have it in front of me!  For every job experience that you have, reference a project or map or something you did there that was significant or also describing your main job duties but going into more depth than the one liner in the resume.  It's a huge deal to go into details to show them that you actually know what you are talking about. 

A portfolio is HUGE!  If you can show maps and reports and other work that you did, bring it!   Even in phone interviews when you can't show them anything, talk at length specifically about different projects and maps.  You want to prepare ahead of time which projects or things you did that are relevant to this particular job.  Have something for every job just in case they ask specifically about one.

I don't like putting candidates through tests because it makes everyone nervous and the nervous really nervous!  I do, however, ask a few technical questions that are oddball but easy for the experienced GIS professional to answer to see if they actually know their stuff.  Sometimes the oddball is defining what a layer file is or something about projections, stuff that would catch a smooth talker off guard or someone that is lying (had several of both kinds).  It usually depends on what I see in the pile of resumes and the level we are hiring at.  I pick a few random things out of the resumes whether it's something I saw that was questionable in one resume or something common in all.  If you don't know the answer off the top of your head, the best answer is that you don't know and to expand on what you think it might be and maybe reference something similar that you do know or at least how you would find out the answer.  The best guy I ever hired couldn't answer some of them but the way he talked about his knowledge and the way he approached these questions made me confirm that he was intelligent, he was fresh out of college so I expected some "I don't know" answers.  I just want someone that can own up to their lack of knowledge and be willing to research and learn, this goes for all skill levels.

For education, I like to see a BS in Geography and if they had taken GIS courses, whether from ESRI or college, because it's really good for getting into the spatial way of thinking and gives them a good base of knowledge.  Masters in GIS is a plus too.  Education definitely is a plus overall but not a deal breaker.  The job experiences and how they interview are the most important.  I want to see a real world application of GIS and for fresh out of college students I want to see enough base GIS and Geography knowledge to jump start your career.

Certifications like the GISP don't matter to me all that much.  It just means you jumped through hoops and paid money to prove you know the basics.  Not everyone is a good test taker and not everyone is willing to pay for it, so it's nice but that doesn't prove much to me.

Also dress appropriately.  I like to see suits and combed hair!  And don't go overboard with perfume and cologne, it impresses no one, especially those allergic to it.

MichaelSmith1
New Contributor III

1) Experience and education - not only in GIS, but in the field in which it's being applied.  Are you applying for municipal GIS job?  Then I'd want to see that you knew GIS but also had some experience with municipal work.  Likewise if you're looking for a GIS guy to support a group of geologists, I'd want you to know something about geology.

2) Personality/Professionalism - can you work in a team?  Do you get along with other people?  Are you polite, respectful, and yet can you also put forth valuable ideas and champion them?  Do you know how to lead as well as follow?  Both are important qualities.

3) Certification - Do you have, or could you get, a GISP or URISA or Esri certification with your current experience and education?  I would not dismiss candidates without certifications, but those with certs would get a slight edge over similarly qualified non-certified candidates.

AndrewLawrence
New Contributor

Portfolios were mentioned a number of times in the comments above. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on creating a portfolio for a GIS job interview? I'm never quite sure of what examples to include, especially when my work examples don't necessarily follow the job description and most of my work experience has been simple cartography. For an upcoming interview, I've been asked to provide one example of a map that demonstrates cartographic products. Should I be trying to wow the interviewers with examples of advanced geoprocessing and statistical analysis or just simply meeting all their requirements with a simple map? Although I have experience in advanced processing and analysis, #I feel like most of my work experience has been simple cartography. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I personally find it is handy to have a portfolio of work to take to interviews.  While sometimes you don't get an opportunity to present it, I can be useful if the interview turns to where the interviewers ask the candidate "tell us about what you have done in GIS" or "Give us an example where you have done (topic) using GIS."  As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words". 

On the flip side, as an interviewer, I think having examples provides the interviewee with an opportunity to establish credibility to back what they say they have done.  Plus it provides the interviewer a specific topic to explore this, as they can follow up with questions about it.  As an interviewer, I can ask "what processes did you use to do this", "what challenges did you run into", and other questions that establish whether the candidate really has done this type of work.  After all, it is easy for candidates to respond yes to a generic question like "Have you done spatial analysis before?".   Having an example and being able to explain how it was derived shows that the candidate has more than just a passing understanding of the realities involved in performing that task; that, as they say "have seen the beast".  If the interview is for a position that requires the candidate be experienced, this can be a deciding factor.

One caveat - interviews for public sector jobs in the United States typically have less opportunities to show off portfolio's than private sector ones, as the pubic sector typically sticks to a format of asking each candidate exactly the same questions and often does not allow for free-flow questions and follow-up where an example would be a great asset.

Anyways, that's my two cents on it.  Given the vast experience and background of folks here on GeoNet I don't expect this to be a cut and dried rule for all situations, but probably a common one that many have seen/experienced.

To directly answer Andrew's question, in terms of choosing one map to bring to the specific interview mentioned, research what the company/organization does.  It may be that they specialize in a certain area, in which case consider bringing an example that fits that area.  For example, if the company is an Environmental firm that primarily does many National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents, see about bringing a typical NEPA figure done in a nice cartographic style.

Chris Donohue, GISP