Thank you for joining the GIS Day Live Chat!

10-17-2018 02:52 PM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

And that's a wrap!

Thank you for joining us today on our first GIS Day Live Chat. Your questions have been great.

And a special thank you to our special guests Joseph Kerski‌, Nicole Minni‌, and Luis Olivieri‌. 

If you would like to post additional questions for our guests, please continue and they will respond to additional questions as they have time. 

We encourage you to continue sharing your GIS Day celebrations by posting your photos and stories on the https://community.esri.com/groups/gis-day/blog/2018/11/01/celebrate-gis-day-2018-share-your-story-on...

GIS Day "We

• 11:00 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions! 

• 11:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question. 

• 11:30 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming! 

• 11:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question. 

• 11:55 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our guests?

• 12:00 p.m. - And that's a wrap! The  LIVE CHAT has ended with our guests.

96 Replies
NicoleMinni
New Contributor III

That is a another great question Michael. I think for some we used to not be involved in a project from start to finish. We were just asked to create a map. Now I feel we are more involved, which I am glad has changed for the positive over time.

LuisOlivieri1
New Contributor III

One big problem that we always have is the presenters have a technical speech for nontechnical people.  I try to explain who the audience is but...  that doesn't always work.

Another problem is having people coming over.  That part of outreach and letting people know about your event doesn't always work as planned.  

BILLJENSEN1
New Contributor II

Hello, this a question for all of you, Nicole, Joseph and Luis, what is your advice for seeking internships/volunteering in the GIS field? Also, what were your experiences in internships to getting into the GIS field?

0 Kudos
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Bill - (1) check with your state GIS community (2) Esri Internships & Assistantships | Student Jobs   Esri internship page.

BILLJENSEN1
New Contributor II

Great thanks!

0 Kudos
LuisOlivieri1
New Contributor III

Bill, finding interns is always a problem and I don't think it is just a problem in GIS.  In my case, I run a GIS Program in a nonprofit that work with young people and we have a very structured format.  The youth start with a general training in technology (not GIS) and then, once they finish the training, they qualify for an internship.  The problem?  They don't have any background on GIS, so we need to train them for specific tasks.  A great way to get them engaged is by paying them, but I know that this is not always an option.  

BILLJENSEN1
New Contributor II

Great, thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos
NicoleMinni
New Contributor III

Bill, if you have the ability to volunteer you could ask your State's Department of Natural Resources or Colleges about volunteer opportunities that would expose you to GIS and possible assist in collecting data for GIS.

BILLJENSEN1
New Contributor II

Great, thanks!

0 Kudos
AndrewHomsey
New Contributor II

For all: How would you assess the job market in the next 5 years? 10 years?